Arcane - Known/Learned now in stock

Because Ken Golden is evil, that is the real truth!
I just placed an order on Saturday(Harmony & Split Bearing), which hasn't gotten here yet, and I already have to place another one?
I'm trying to dig in to one or two cd's at a time instead of buying in bunches, but the evil compels me to buy or die! Often! Too often!
I hope all is well with you Mr Golden, and Mr Harveston, your cd of the year list keeps me busy...way too busy, for a solitary mortal man.

September can't get here soon enough

Just got this one in the mail and it's an early contender for album of the year for me. Certainly will be at the top of the prog metal releases. And I agree as Glenn said it is an essential purchase for prog (metal) fans. And as such I expect them to be announced for PPXVII. :)

The problem with so many of these great musical endeavors is, as always, the vocals. Musically this disc is fantastic! It is as advertised; a prog masterpiece! But the vocals don't do a damn thing for me. He's not terrible by any stretch of the imagination, but he just doesn't fit the mold of what I consider for this type of material. Very similar to Anathema to me vocally. Not stylistically, mind you, but moreso as in just vocals that don't stir anything in me. That's a terrible place to be in. So many great cds that I can't spin often because the vocals grate on my nerves.

In saying that, I will spin it at times where I'm not concentrating on the singing, like during fantasy baseball drafts, playing along on guitar etc... And as always, I will continue to try to "get it" until I either throw it in the pile of unlistenables or find something new to frustrate me. Hell, it worked for Pain of Salvation when "One Hour By The Concrete Lake" came out. Hated it, couldn't listen to it, was about to throw it in a pile and gave it another spin...BAM!!! I fucking got it! It was awesome, a masterpiece, can't get it out of my player CD.

There is always hope

Just got this one in the mail and it's an early contender for album of the year for me. Certainly will be at the top of the prog metal releases. And I agree as Glenn said it is an essential purchase for prog (metal) fans. And as such I expect them to be announced for PPXVII. m/

I agree with dtfanatic. This (double) album could be my #1 as well. Concerning Jim Grey's vocals, I think that they are brilliant. His style is edgy and haunting at the same time. His voice and approach is certainly unique and IMO helps distinguish and raise Arcane above other good prog bands. It took me a little longer to embrace the second, softer disc, but now I can't get enough of it. I had high expectations for Arcane, because of their previous release. With this album, they have exceeded that lofty expectation.

TJ: I immediately liked the vocals. And if Anathema's vocals can't stir you, damn, just damn. They're some of the best going.

This statement I find confusing, how do his vocals not fit with this kind of music?

I believe that I said they don't fit what I envision for this type of music. Vocalists like this have no power and balls to their voice. To me they're like prog-emo vocals. I'm a fan of the strong powerful vocals, not this stuff. I could throw Anathema, Arcane, Voyager, Riverside & Steven Wilson all in the same boat. Great music with vox I just don't care for. To each his own eh? And that's not to slam the bands. They have their place in the genre, its just hard for me to appreciate. Throw Ray Alder on any of these discs and they become deserted island must haves.

And I still support these bands with each new release. I continue to buy the disc and try to find something that I can grasp on to, because if they are getting rave reviews in our circles, they will always be worth a shot.

Just my 2 cents

Not to respond just to this band, but the subject about vocalists in general, I like the variety out there. If everyone had "power and balls" (At least your definition of that), it would be pretty boring. Vive la difference, I say.

I like variety also. I like powerful vocals and I like ballsy vocals; that's two different styles, right? ;)

I thought I knew what you meant when using the word ballsy but then you name drop Ray Adler. I'm not sure how is he a particularly 'ballsy' vocalist? And when it comes to describing something as powerful, that's one of the first words I would use to describe Jim Grey's vocal performance on Arcane's album. I think we have different definitions for those descriptions as its all subjective at the end of the day. As you said each to his own.

I love track 7 (Keeping Stone: Water Awake) on disc 2. Total Maynard James Keenan emoting vocals on that one. In fact a lot of the vocals remind me of Keenan.