Arch Enemy covering Manowar

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Been listening to the new Arch Enemy EP - it's got a bunch of covers on it, including some Megadeth and Carcass, but I have to say, they do an AMAAAAZZZING job with the Manowar track, "Kill with Power". Thing is, I've never heard the original so I'm not plagued with having to make the comparison, but is the original song cool? This cover version is just blistering...

I predict this thread to erupt into a magnificent flame war populated by hordes that have never heard the EP.

Anywho, what Carcass and Megadeth songs do they do? I'd like to hear that.

Megadeth - Symphony of Destruction
Carcass - Incarnated Solvent Abuse

I know they worship Megadeth, but the cover is weak. Carcass is better, but seriously, the Manowar thing just shreds.

Haha how funny that it took me until right now to remember Mike Ammott was in Carcass, during the time of Incarnated Solvent Abuse even. :loco:

Symphony shouldn't be covered by anyone, that is like the most stereotypical 'deth song ever, and is only good because it has that 'deth sound to it. Dissected up and spread out on paper it looks terrible, but Megadeth made it work.

Kill With Power is on Hail To England, which still has grown on me as a whole album yet. I only remember the chorus.

This EP popped up out of the blue - what's the deal with it?

Talking of ManOwaR covers, I'm waiting for this Moonblood tape to roll around to their version of Thor (The Powerhead) :heh: They do a great Enter The Eternal Fire, I'll tell you that!

Always loved the cover art too...for years I thought Manowar were British because of it. Funny how they never seem to tour the US.

754.jpg

I find it odd how Arch Enemy has become everyone's new favorite whipping boy. I thought "Anthems of Rebellion" was a cool disc. Granted, it didn't exactly break any new ground, but it was a nice mix of Power Metal and Swedish Melodic Death. I think Angela's voice is superb on that disc. Me thinks that if she was a he, they wouldn't get half as much shit as they do. I'm going to see them with Cradle of Filth in early November... looking forard to it.

Zod

I thought Anthems was great, I didn't understand the whole sell-out call because I saw it as LESS accessible than Wages of Sin.

I'm staying WAY out of the typical AE 'discussion', heh. I've done my tour of duty on this, and it lasted five friggin' pages too. I met Angela Gossow at the Iron Maidens show and she was very cool, in the middle of writing her book and all that.

In hindsight, I will say this: From a longevity point of view, Wages of Sin is my favourite AE record. It's one of the coolest things to come out of the melo-death genre when it was running rampant. I sold off my first two AE records, just 'cos of Livva.

JayKeeley said:
None whatsoever.
:OMG:

PJ, get onto it!

Anyway...personally, for me, Hail To England is quite a touching song. It makes my chest swell with pride, and as a compliment from an American band, even more so! I love putting it on my discman with the volume on full. Just that one song. Love it.

As for AE...I caught the tail end of We Will Rise on Scuzz once. Seemed quite cool. Hmmmm...maybe I'll have to invest in this EP on Friday if I see it around.

(oooh, my np still makes me go all mushy :oops: )