ARCH ENEMY - Dead Eyes See No Future EP

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
ARCH ENEMY - Dead Eyes See No Future EP (2004)
http://www.centurymedia.com
http://www.archenemy.net

archenemy_deadeyes.gif

1. Dead Eyes See No Future
2. Burning Angel (live)
3. We Will Rise (live)
4. Heart of Darkness (live)
5. Symphony Of Destruction (MEGADETH cover)
6. Kill With Power (MANOWAR cover)
7. Incarnated Solvent Abuse (CARCASS cover)

EP featuring 3 live tracks, 1 album track (from latest full length release Anthems of Rebellion), 3 covers, and 1 video. Whoa, and for the first time I hear Angela's regular voice, she sounds like an East German "woman." Thankfully she doesn't really look it, although she'd still totally kick my ass in a fight.

The live tracks feature impeccable playing and sound quality, if only every live album could sound this good (thankfully some do). The MEGADETH cover is awful, but at least they did their own little treatment to it instead of an identical cover. Then again "Symphony of Destruction" is perfect as is, leave it alone please. I'm not familiar with MANOWAR, but this song is pretty cool. No I'm not going to be buying any of their albums. The CARCASS cover rocks, but since Michael Amott co-wrote it way back when, I'm not surprised.

Good stuff, unless you hate ARCH ENEMY.

7/10
NAD

I tell ya, that Manowar cover is just mindblowing. I've yet to hear the original, but this AE cover deserves maximum volume. I normally hate death metal covers of traditional metal songs (such as Arch Enemy's "Aces High"), but this one was good.

I agree, the "Symphony..." cover was weak. It failed during the chorus, "Just like the pied piper...." etc. The guitar parts just seemed so empty compared to the original. Where was Marty Friedman's melody overlaying Mustaine's rhythm part? It even acts as a harmony to the vocal line, but I guess in this case, death metal vocals are one dimensional enough where the concept of 'harmonies' don't exist. Bah, it is teh fail.

Yeah, Carcass cover doesn't count albeit great. It's like Halford doing a Judas Priest cover. :loco:

In the press kit thingy Mike said he was hesitant doing Carcass material with AE, but said it really worked out in the end. I agree, it pretty much sounds like a more polished version of the original, even Angela's vocals mimic Walker's a little.