Arcturus review, London 5/10/05

Pitiless Wanderer

Jun 14, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
I saw Arcturus live for the first time the other night in Camden at the Underworld, a rather small venu that I had been to once before to see Dimension Zero. Arcturus were supporting their latest album, Sideshow Symphonies which was released a few weeks ago. Arcturus play a certain kind of avant garde, experimental metal and they have a spacial theme to their music that I find quite captivating.

The gig started after two support bands were finished. The first, I don't know the name of but consisted of three large, ugly women (one fronting the band, one on keys, the last drumming), a piss poor guitar player and mediocre bass player. They were a goth band and not memorable. The next band was Red Harvest. They surprised me and played a kind of industrial, very dark metal...recommended.

Arcturus came on stage in full costume, wearing a full array of pirate-like tops and trousers, masks and makeup. They immediately opened up with Ad Absurdum and went right into Nightmare Heaven. Unfortunately those are the only two tracks from 2002's eipc, The Sham Mirrors. Other tracks were Alone, Diception Genesis, Painting my Horror, The Chaos Path, Master of Disguise, Evacuation Code Deciphered, Hufsa, White Noise Monster, Reflections and Raudt Og Svart. Shipwrecked Frontier Pioneer was on the setlist but for reasons unbeknownst to me they didn't play it. I was disappointed because that is my favorite song from their new album. Other than the songs Sverd had a two minute show off on the keyboard and Knut and Torre on guitar as well. The show as complete with female stage dancers, great strobe lighting and fog. There was a very theatrical theme and feel to the show, much like the band's great music. I didn't hear a single flaw from any of the performers and it was great to see Hellhammer do his thing in a live setting. Vortex sounded great and had a terrific stage persence. I think I prefer his vocals in Arcturus rather than Garm, which is saying a lot because Garm has a great voice and fitted the band perfectly.

If you can catch the band on their European tour don't pass it up. Go out and buy their new album, too.

sounds like it was a pretty awesome setlist. Doesn't surprise me that Red Harvest opened...the two bands are good friends

I was not able to make that show and have now missed the opportunity to see Arcturus, one of my favourite bands ever, for the second time in a year, therefore I now hate you and all who were able to attend out of pure and petty jealousy...

*runs off to a dark corner to cry*

haha.

well, i dont know if this would ever happen, but id really like to see Arcturus become a full time band. These guys are seriously talented and so unique in today's metal scene.

but ya, you missed a great show

Devy_Metal said:
haha.

well, i dont know if this would ever happen, but id really like to see Arcturus become a full time band. These guys are seriously talented and so unique in today's metal scene.

but ya, you missed a great show

I remember reading something to that effect - that the reason Garm left was because it was becoming more of a full-time band. This is awesome! I love these guys! \m/