Arcturus Takes a Shot at Winds

That is funny considering the fact that half of Winds plays or played for Arcturus. I will say right now that Winds music is more deep, and Arcturus songs get boring after awhile.

There should be a follow up to the Thorns Vs. Emperor split called Winds Vs. Arcturus. I would love to hear the two bands cover each others songs.

karpsmom said:
There should be a follow up to the Thorns Vs. Emperor split called Winds Vs. Arcturus. I would love to hear the two bands cover each others songs.

We might be up for that, but I doubt Arcturus would - due to... errhmm.... technical difficulties?

I can't see anybody doing Emperor or Winds songs, and if somebody did covers songs of these bands they would sound shitty compared to the original recordings. I can't picture Arcturus doing Winds songs either, it just wouldnt sound right without Carls trademark guitar style, Andys classic piano riffs, and of course Lars voice which sounds quite unique in todays metal scene.

The Emperor covers Thorns did are fantastic! And I'm sure Arcturus and Winds would do fine covering each other, they're both full of great musicians who would handle each other perfectly and bring their own flair to the songs! I think it would be a really cool idea. Too bad Arcturus wouldn't do it, technical difficulities.... lol, those bums

karpsmom said:
The Emperor covers Thorns did are fantastic! And I'm sure Arcturus and Winds would do fine covering each other, they're both full of great musicians who would handle each other perfectly and bring their own flair to the songs! I think it would be a really cool idea. Too bad Arcturus wouldn't do it, technical difficulities.... lol, those bums

What I meant by what I said was just a nicer way of saying that they are not capable of covering our songs. ;)

Tore is a great guitar player, absolutely amazing, and of course Jan Axel could play his own parts, but beyond that the rest of the band would have quite a hard time keeping up I believe. Even though Tore rocks he would probably have a hard time playing Carl's solos too. Different playing styles.

Well, I think it's a bad idea to just copy the songs when covering them. They could take what you have written, and make it their own, while retaining the overall Winds sound. You don't think Sverd can handle your keys? I don't know how to play piano so I don't know how hard each of your parts are compared to one another. As for bass, I'm sure they can both handle one another. So all there is guitar. I think Knut and Tore could handle the challenge!

karpsmom said:
You don't think Sverd can handle your keys?

I think he would have a hard time doing so because he has quite short hands and my hands are quite long, so he doesn't have the capability of reaching as far between the keys on the piano as I do. This means he'd have to be so much faster just to play the same parts, and a lot of what I play pushes these limits even for me.

Getting into a further analysis of the playing styles, he tends to play things closer within the same notes of each other, and he usually doesn't play notes that are very far apart without playing something else in between first. He tends to move up and down doing runs instead, but rarely jumping more than let's say to the minor third or the dominant before moving somewhere else from there. He also uses more of a percussive playing style than me, while I do many jumps and runs, scales and patterns over a wider range of notes, for example I'll play from the root to the dominant to the ninth with the same hand and then something else with the other hand.

These are just different ways of thinking and different playing styles, but physical limitations are also a factor when playing far-in-between notes like that. My impression is also that my style is a bit more polished than his, but different things work for different situations and I probably wouldn't fit in musically with Arcturus any more than he would fit in with Winds.

In all honesty the Arcturus guys do have a less polished and more rough-around-the-edges playing style compared to let's say Carl, Lars and myself, but that's not necessarily a bad thing either as it adds a nice and genuine vibe to the playing, it definitely becomes more "rock 'n roll" this way, and it works very well for what they are doing. But it wouldn't work when playing the music we do in Winds, which requires a very polished touch.

This is not to say that one is better than the other, but the Winds guys and the Arcturus guys are from completely different schools, so it's hard to compare. I don't know what Steinar's limitations are, but I know mine, and I would not fit in playing let's say "good old rock 'n roll music" because my musical mind is much more progressive and classically oriented, so I would overplay and totally over-do it.

I'm not saying that Arcturus is rock 'n roll, but just using that as an example. At the same time, I think one would need to have a very classically minded piano player to follow my way of thinking as far as how I arrange my keys, and the fact that my playing style is also very unique and very different from most key players who play in metal bands, this makes me think that we are just too different as players to do each other's things. Even so, my guess is that I'd probably have a better shot at doing his stuff than he would have at doing mine, for reasons as stated above.

Regards,
Andy

Well said Andy. When I first listened to your solo album of just keys, I couldn't help but dwell on the simple-sounding, yet powerful and clean it was. When I actually thought about the music you were playing, rather than look beyond the notes, I realized that it wasn't as simple as first preceived. I love the way you handle the keys.

My own piano skills are pretty limited, but regardless, I don't think I'd ever be able to match your cleanliness... And I'd never reach your skill. But enough of the flattering.

In all honestly, I would much rather listen to Winds over any other band of the same general genre. Arcturus on the other hand I like a lot also, but I can't compare the two bands. Arcturus has a much darker, and heavier feel to it. As you said, they have that "rough-around-the-edges" style. I like both. Winds can sometimes sound as if its missing something, but you guys pull it off. I don't think any other band could pull it off.

karpsmom said:

Thorns is basicaly a one man band created by Snorre with the help of Hellhammer , Snorre did put a Thorns twist on the Emperor songs, but can't compare to the original E recordings.

Andy Winter said:
I think he would have a hard time doing so because he has quite short hands and my hands are quite long, so he doesn't have the capability of reaching as far between the keys on the piano as I do. This means he'd have to be so much faster just to play the same parts, and a lot of what I play pushes these limits even for me.

Getting into a further analysis of the playing styles, he tends to play things closer within the same notes of each other, and he usually doesn't play notes that are very far apart without playing something else in between first. He tends to move up and down doing runs instead, but rarely jumping more than let's say to the minor third or the dominant before moving somewhere else from there. He also uses more of a percussive playing style than me, while I do many jumps and runs, scales and patterns over a wider range of notes, for example I'll play from the root to the dominant to the ninth with the same hand and then something else with the other hand.

These are just different ways of thinking and different playing styles, but physical limitations are also a factor when playing far-in-between notes like that. My impression is also that my style is a bit more polished than his, but different things work for different situations and I probably wouldn't fit in musically with Arcturus any more than he would fit in with Winds.

In all honesty the Arcturus guys do have a less polished and more rough-around-the-edges playing style compared to let's say Carl, Lars and myself, but that's not necessarily a bad thing either as it adds a nice and genuine vibe to the playing, it definitely becomes more "rock 'n roll" this way, and it works very well for what they are doing. But it wouldn't work when playing the music we do in Winds, which requires a very polished touch.

This is not to say that one is better than the other, but the Winds guys and the Arcturus guys are from completely different schools, so it's hard to compare. I don't know what Steinar's limitations are, but I know mine, and I would not fit in playing let's say "good old rock 'n roll music" because my musical mind is much more progressive and classically oriented, so I would overplay and totally over-do it.

I'm not saying that Arcturus is rock 'n roll, but just using that as an example. At the same time, I think one would need to have a very classically minded piano player to follow my way of thinking as far as how I arrange my keys, and the fact that my playing style is also very unique and very different from most key players who play in metal bands, this makes me think that we are just too different as players to do each other's things. Even so, my guess is that I'd probably have a better shot at doing his stuff than he would have at doing mine, for reasons as stated above.

Regards,
Andy

That is some very cool info man thanks for replying.