Are Manufacturer Refurbished items trustworthy?

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
So I'm looking to buy an amp head off of Guitar Center's website, and I WAS going to buy new, but I noticed a "Manufacturer's Refurbished" version significantly (45%) cheaper.

The fine-print says:
These are products that have been completely refurbished and tested by their manufacturers to meet original factory specifications*. You'll realize HUGE savings when you purchase factory b-stock gear. All manufacturer's b-stock products include manufacturer's warranties. Take a full 30 days to check out the gear before deciding to keep it.
*Factory b-stock M-Audio equipment does NOT include software.

Do you think it's worth taking a risk? Or should I still buy new? GC said I had 30 days to return it to them for a full refund once I receive it.

I'm nervous to buy it refurbished, considering I don't know the exact process of their refurbishing process. The last thing I want is an amp that will break on me 31 days after I get it and me having to pay to ship it back to the manufacturer and being shit out of luck with GC.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

I would trust it, There was obviously something wrong with the amp and a previous customer sent it back, so the manufacturer had a good look at it and fixed the issues back to their selling standards.

Another plus of manu referbs is that most likely when they referbed it, the amp had a more thorough look over than it would have just being new put together on the assembly line.

Totally different type of thing, but i bought my Zune mp3 player as a refurbished model about 3 years ago, for 50% off and It looked brand new, had all paperwork, warranty, everything, and its the only mp3 player Ive had that hasn't broken yet!

In many cases, refurbished items are a SAFER bet than a brand new item, as they've been gone over by a real person and given a clean bill of health. With many mass-produced items, only a certain percentage of units are actually checked by a person. Add to it that you save money and still get the warranty, return policy, and full resale value, and it's a great deal.

Got a pair of factory refurbished headphones off ebay a couple of weeks ago. I gave them the "once over" when they arrived and couldn't find a scratch on them. Functionality-wise they've been operating perfectly. Also, they cost about half the price of a new pair and came with a warranty as well. Honestly, that deal was hard to beat.

Well I went ahead and placed my order for the refurbished amp, and I have 30 days to return it to them for a full refund if anything goes wrong with it, and still get the full manufacturer's warranty. I'm pretty stoked! :)

Well I went ahead and placed my order for the refurbished amp, and I have 30 days to return it to them for a full refund if anything goes wrong with it, and still get the full manufacturer's warranty. I'm pretty stoked! :)

Win/win then.

Good luck with your new purchase.

I've bought many a refurbished item from various manufacturers, in most cases the manufacturer honored the original warranty statement, and I can't think of a single purchase I've regretted.

The new-in-box imperfect items pass QC inspection from that company and get sent back. They're refurbed and sent back out. So, refurb items have met 100% of QC inspection TWO times. I'm down with that.