Arion - Last Of Us - Finnish symphonic power metal

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
This band has caught me by surprise with this song. It actually reminds me of the mighty Lost Horizon. The singer is no Daniel Heiman but he'll do alright. The music is epic and grandiose in nature. A great song if you ask me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I was pleasantly surprised by this band as well!

I especially love this one:

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy cow! Now I've finally heard the whole album and by the Gods it's a fantastic piece of work for a debut album. These guys can be the next big thing in power metal if more people get to hear them. The only minor or slight complaint is that the singer maybe lacks a little more oomph or histrionics to match the music. He can let go on occasion but mostly doesn't.

Not getting much of a Lost Horizon vibe, more of a "this sounds like high quality Finn-style metal" vibe. WHich is cool, I love that Finnish power metal sound.

Really good music. Talented musicians.

I just put a request in to eMusic that they carry it. We'll see. Sometimes eMusic can be very responsive to such requests. If they get them I'll make a follow-up post with links so you guys can download it (and save the import costs).

Really good music. Talented musicians.

I just put a request in to eMusic that they carry it.

And I was just about to go check eMusic (especially since my account just refreshed last week). I guess we'll see if they end up carrying it.

I love what I am hearing from this Arion outfit, so would love to get a copy of the album. Will have to check if any of the vendor tables will have it at ProgPower.

Listened to it on Spotify. I get a very Amaranth feel with it, so if that's your thing, it might be worth picking up. Or just stream it when the mood hits.

And I was just about to go check eMusic (especially since my account just refreshed last week). I guess we'll see if they end up carrying it.

I received a reply from eMusic support. About the Arion "Last Among Us" album they said:

"Sorry. Doesn't appear to be available digitally at the moment."

From this link you can listen to part of the album
https://soundcloud.com/rankakustannus/sets/arion-album-sampler/s-icTOM

Digital release in US expected to happen soon.

Biographical info
Finland's newest melodic metal sensation Arion came out from the woodwork and dropped on the scene like a bomb. Comprised of a trio of 17 and 18 year old music students from Sibelius Lukio and their equally accomplished muso friends, Arion wrote their debut song “Lost” - a versatile piece of symphonic melodic metal - in the summer of 2012, entered it to the Eurovision song contest's Finnish qualification and found themselves in the nationally televised qualification rounds. Perplexed in the midst of the TV hoopla and everything therein, still trying to get to know each other as a band mates, Arion were already getting the first taste of celebrity treatment. After 3 televised performances, Arion's song sensationally wound up 5th among 540 songs and got nationwide applause and airplay.

Soon enough in May 2013 Arion signed with Ranka Kustannus, the label owned by Riku Pääkkönen, previously of Spinefarm fame and the foundation for success stories such as Children Of Bodom, Nightwish, Sonata Arctica etc.). A month later Arion already entered the studio to record their debut EP “New Dawn”, which subsequently got released in November to rave reviews.