Article in swedish - Dan chooses 3 important albums for him

MERCYFUL FATE - Don´t Break the Oath
I remember it like yesterday when I read about them in OKAY!(Swedish zine)
The singer was a Satanist and had a doll on stage filled with real animal guts he beheaded. I was already convinced that Mercyful Fate was the world's best band!

But in small Finspång (Dans hometown) it was difficult to find like-minded people.
All my friends liked either no music at all, or Europe. My brothers, who indoctrinated me in the hard rock precious world, even as a newborn, had "moved on" to “gubbrock” (old mans rock) and free jazz.
But then one day it happened! My brothers friend, Chrille Broms, turned over and he was always trying to get Dagge to like any of the "new" bands that had emerged. When Chrille stood in the hall, I saw the cover disc! It seemed cruel nasty out! I showed my interest in and to my surprise, I was listening to the disc. I went to dad's Skanticstereo in the living room and happened to turn on
side B first. Intro to "The Oath" trickled out of the speakers and what was magic to bind a twelve year-old more than lightning, rain, church organ and a chanting voice that swore to be his master, Satan, the faithful!
Then it just hit me! It sounded so hard! Underestimated Kim Ruzz fed the double bass a damn drive! Everything felt fresh. King Diamond sounded incredibly satanic. Much tougher than Blackie Lawless, who I thought would sound like evil itself. Every single track on the album is a huge win. Key changes, rate changes, tempo changes, nasty texts, I was a trance-like!
I recorded the album on cassette and rushed me to order it and "Melissa" by the Swedish Record Club. This disc is one of the few panels where I love every single second.
The production is a bit strange, but creates a dark ambien. Crazy good album.

DEATH - Leprosy
Unfortunately, I can not show off and say "I bought it when it came out".
When this disc was released, I had reached the top of my AOR-worship, and had even begun to start liking Richard Marx!
For some reason I started to hang with Mike Bohlin (now in PAIN), and through him and his buddy Tony Särkkä I was "exposed" to thrash metal, which then was considered to be quite hard. I heard the Wehrmacht and S.O.D. It was fun! A little crazy sense of humor and a drummer who played twice as fast as everyone else. But it was more fun than good. At the same time "South of Heaven" appeared, and Slayer I had barely heard, except at the Rock Box. The Drums on the song "Silent Scream" broke me totally and I ended up jamming Thrash Metal with Mike and Tony. Before I knew it I was a total Thrash-worshiper. I spent every penny on records with members in leather and basketball sneakers and during a shopping round I bought TOXIC "World Circus" SABBATH "Dreamweaver" and Obituary "Cause of Death". After the intro had ebbed out in the latter disc, I did not really know if I should laugh or cry. It sounded totally sick! It took about 3 songs for me to realize that Death Metal was "the shit" and Thrash was ridiculous.

The hunt for the hardest had begun. This was before I played death metal myself and I had no connections to the underground network that I just one year later would be a big part of. But one day it was just there. I thought it would be a disc like the others. By now I had gone through a whole bunch of tiles with tough song titles, blood, up-down cross in the logo, but when I turned on the vinyl "Leprosy", I was hooked! It was exactly how it SHOULD sound! Simple songs in semi-low speed. The production sounded alien perfectly with its swirl of doom! Every single riff sat there and it was the vocals .... The vocals ... The vocals !!!... Chuck was by far the most royal growler ever!! Period! What makes "Leprosy" so unique is that every song has "hooks". If you've heard the song once, you will remember it. Already in the second chorus you’ll sing alonglike you´ve heard the album hundreds of times before. I love the charming simplicity, all the riffs and drums. Ingeniously simple! Buy, download, do what the hell you want ... but listen to "Leprosy" now!! The world's best death metal!

ALTER BRIDGE - One Day Remains
Once in 2000 I bought a weird guitar to the store where I worked.
It's called Schecter Cello Blaster and was built to be tuned into A and had five strings. I loved that guitar and played on it as often as I could. It sounded so incredibly powerful when it was so downtuned and yet so "professional". In the middle of all the metal riffs I started to play some more "positive" riff and a bit more "major keys" stuff. A thought struck me ... I would start a band that played melodic rock with some metal attitude, solid fucking downtuned and the guitar sound would be fat and hard.
After a while I skipped the whole thing because it seemed stillborn already in my thought. In 2005 I got a mixed CD from my girlfriend and on it was the song "Open Your Eyes". I forgot all the time what the band was called, and every time the song appeared on her car radio, I asked "What is it?" and every time she sighed and said, "Alter Bridge". I think "Open Your Eyes" is one of the best songs and I was certainly surprised when the entire disc completely crush! It's hard and soft, depressed and downtuned on and off and I absolutely adore "On Broken Wings," "In Loving Memory" and "Shed My Skin". It’s an album filled with 5 of 5 rating songs except a few that end up in the 4.5 of 5 category. The production is awesome and has a nice sound pressure/production. Vocalist Myles Kennedy is top 5 in the world. No talk. No wonder that Jimmy Page and Co wanted him in some kind of LED ZEPPELIN spin-off. If you have missed this album or think it's a confused CREED disc, forget it. Mark Tremonti, who has written most of the music has Celtic Frost as a favorite band! Just such a thing.

Always thought Alter Bridge was some kind of newer death metal he'd mastered recently.. Now I have to check them out.

My only question is about the Celloblaster. Dan & Co. have always tuned to B it seems. How did the 5 string change his mind, when he could have easily downtuned his 6'er?