Article on Death Metal Guitars?

53Crëw

Jan 31, 2007
I was talking to a guy at Seymour Duncan who said there was an article recently on the top 20 or 25 guitars for Death Metal, but he couldn't remember what magazine he saw it in. Does anyone know about this article and where it was published? Thanks.

Decibel I believe, here's the article...

"Because the Top 20 Nü-Metal Guitarists was too hard to whittle down...

Determining the 20 greatest death metal guitarists of all time was an appropriately brutal, bloody and chaotic process. In its initial planning stages, this was to be a list of the 10 greatest death metal guitarists of all time. But then the IMs and emails started flying back and forth among Decibel’s editorial staff: What about so-and-so? That guy over this guy? What the fuck do you mean, “overrated?” Cases were made. Feelings got hurt. The fact that any of us have girlfriends was regarded with solemn wonder. Ten guitarists became 20. Finally, we have a list that’s 100% guaranteed not to please everybody. Which is kind of the point: Death metal, as maligned as it is (it all sounds the same, you can’t understand what the guy is saying, Cookie Monster, blah blah et cetera), offers up enough diversity and has so many accomplished, often visionary players that making this list was fucking HARD. At first glance, there’s not much common ground between Baz Thompson’s monolithic chugging and Muhammed Suiçmez’s impossible über-shredding, or between Opeth’s Mikael Åkerfeldt and grindcore riff-factory Scott Hull. What all of our picks do share, whether they’re self-taught or classically trained, dedicated to progression or happy to pay tribute to their metal guitar heroes, is a discipline and devotion that we’ll put up against any other genre any day of the week. Given another few weeks and a mediator to keep things from getting violent, we probably could have stretched it to 40.

1. Trey Azagthoth (Morbid Angel)
2. Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
3. Bill Steer (Carcass, Napalm Death)
4. Karl Sanders (Nile)
5. Anders Björler (At the Gates)
6. Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth)
7. James Murphy (Death, Obituary, Cancer, Disincarnate)
8. Kelly Shaefer (Atheist)
9. Scott Hull (Pig Destroyer, Agoraphobic Nosebleed)
10. Erik Rutan (Hate Eternal, Morbid Angel)
11. Terrance Hobbs (Suffocation)
12. Muhammed Suiçmez (Necrophagist)
13. Luc Lemay (Gorguts)
14. Matt Harvey (Exhumed, Dekapitator, Repulsion)
15. Robert Vigna (Immolation)
16. Patrick Mameli (Pestilence)
17. Nergal (Behemoth)
18. Barry "Baz" Thompson (Bolt Thrower)
19. Nicke Andersson (Nihilist, Entombed, Death Breath)
20. Paul Ryan (Origin)"

i wouldnt say trey is top
and why is kelly shaefer there? surely it should be rand burkley as kelly hasnt been able to play since unquestionable presence, and never really wrote anything.
wheres paul masdival?!
jack owen?
hoffman bros?
dino?
dave suzuki, tony lazaro?

jeez

Trey definitely should be at the top, I can't think of a more influential, forward-thinking death metal band than Morbid Angel (especially with the first 4 albums)

and while Dino has done some Death Metal stuff thats good, he's known more for Fear Factory, which isn't really a death metal band.

Deicide is an amazing band, but I don't think the Hoffmans were as influential as the guitar players in the list.

However, I agree that it would be nice to see Jack Owen on the list