Artificial Harmonics

It's that "squeal" noise you may hear the guitarist make in some songs. Artificial harmonics RULE!! =)

AH's rule, but you need to sit down and work out how to do them. I find the best way is to angle my pick and squeeze it at the same time (pinching it, they're also called Pinch Harmonics by the way :) )

The other thing to remember is that you get different ones on different parts of the string, so you'll have to experiment to find where they are...

To execute an AH, while holding your pick(between your forefinger,middle finger and thumb) reach out with you fore finger and strike the sting(any) at the same time you pick, simply rest your finger on it at the same time you pick, the thumb method works, but this works everytime.

Why are people referring to pinched harmonics being the same as artificial harmonics? The technique is not the same at all.

Example: an AH is if you play an open string and gently touch the string at the 12th fret. Whereas a PH is when you play the note between plectrum and thumb.

I described both actually, and even referred to them as AH and PH just to make that clarification, ahem.

Who cares anyway. If you can't play an AH on a guitar then you should go play the triangle or something.

For a more detailed explanation: 90% of the tone present in a guitar string is made up of it's various harmonics. These can be quickly described as sub-vibrations of the string. Not only is the whole string going back and forth...each half of it vibrates at it's own rate. This rate is double the original frequency (aka 1 octave higher) of the fundamental note (whatever you are fretting or the open string pitch). You run into an "endless" set of harmonics, each getting progressively weaker as they increase in pitch / decrease in string length. The theory of harmonic utilization in music is to mute the fundamental pitch of a vibrating string, while allowing a particular harmonic (or a few harmonics) to continue vibrating. These are usually 1.5 to 3 octaves above the fundamental, depending upon where the guitarist mutes the string (where he/she "pinches"). As such they sound great through a distorted amplifier. Experiment around and you'll pick them up quick...just do it alone or you'll drive everyone away with your squawking.

Joey, when you described an AH you actually described a Natural Harmonic. There are three harmonics that I know of, Natural, Artificial, and Pinch harmonics.

Originally posted by AjDeath
Joey, when you described an AH you actually described a Natural Harmonic. There are three harmonics that I know of, Natural, Artificial, and Pinch harmonics.

Roger - you're right. I forgot about the third variation. I'm now giving up guitar to play the bongos. :)

You got the Zakk Wylde vibrato nailed? fuck! All with the cry baby scream and everything? Shit man - I can play Far Beyond the Sun by Malmsteen and still not get the Zakk 'basic' vibrato down.

I wish I could because I love No Rest for the Wicked with a passion. That (IMO) is Zakk at his best.

Allright, I will explain this in laymans terms,

A natural Harmonic is when you touch a string over either the 5th, 7th, or 12th fret, and pluck the string, anyone fucking around on a guitar can produce this Harmonic, an Artificial harmonic is when you tap the string with your index finger of your picking hand while at the same time plucking the string, a pinch harmonic is when you hold the pick between your thumb and index finger and while you play a note, brush it with your thumb, this last one takes practice but is useful,