Asking Alexandria - Cowboy King

GearMan2point0

Musician/Engineer
Feb 13, 2011
Hey everybody,

My step brother and I did a cover of Cowboy King by Asking Alexandria. I would like some feedback on the song and how it was mixed. We did some different things. THere is a pause at 2:21, just wait and the rest will kick in, I didn't bother with synth as I will put something else in there. So this is what I need.

1.) Feedback on the Mix
2.) Feedback on the arrangement.
3.) A volunteer to record clean vocals for us.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=htt...Diary%20-%20Cowboy%20King%20Cover.wav&h=7b48f

Thanks guys

Sounds good. tends to be glitchy at some parts, maybe memory spikes or something from plugins.

Sounds pretty legit dude. Damn close to the original. Vocals could use some work

+1 on the kick. Sounds like a spatula hitting a piece of printer paper.

The vocals are seriously, seriously needing timing adjustments.

What are you using to guitar? Sounds like there's too much high freqs and maybe too much drive/gain.

Also try to humanize the drums more. You can totally tell it was all programmed. Try to change up the velocities and make it less robotic.

There we go! Nice feedback guys! Yeah I used Superior Drummer. I will have to play around with it. The kick, is weird I will agree. The guitars were mixed to taste, but I have realized that it is too muffled. I will work on getting those drums more humanized. Keep up the great feedback, I need it!

I'd more than glad to do the cleans but i'm not sure if my voice allows me to do them :D that's not an easy song to do well. Plus i'm not sure if i get the time to actually do them.

But as far as the mix goes, it's pretty close. I was comparing this to the original and found that the guitars are a tad brighter in the original. And as said before the drums need a little human to them. And the vocals are with a different style but i think you weren't really trying to imitate danny so that's ok. And the vocals sound good anyways.

I know that people are downing people because they are trying to imitate Joey, but doing this one song I have learned many of my own tricks and have pretty much found my own techniques and tricks in mixing. I learned a lot from doing this much like a guitarist learns a lot from doing covers. If you learn how to keep working at something specific instead of being lost in a field, you learn what works and what doesn't much faster.

Anyways Thanks DullElysium for feedback, I feel the same about the snare. Anybody else have any percise feedback?