ASPERA - New Norwegian force in Melodic Progressive Metal

GlamBabe

New Metal Member
Oct 3, 2006
London
www.myspace.com
Hard work, determination and a relentless passion for music is what defines ASPERA, a new und hungry melodic band with progressive influences, ready to shake up the scene and step up to worldwide recognition with their impressive debut release “Ripples” on InsideOutMusic.

The five aspiring musicians from Skien, Norway, are truly what can be described as ‘youngsters’ and ‘newcomers’, being just 20 years of age (all members were born the last quarter of the year 1989 and they were 18-19 years old when producing “Ripples”!). The group, however, originally formed in a slightly different line-up as friends in school and has been active since 2005 under the previous name ‘Illusion’, releasing a total of 3 self-recorded demo EP’s and having about 40+ live shows under their belt, before they switched their band name to the more original and better suitable ASPERA last summer. ASPERA is taken from Latin and meaning ‘thorns’ or ‘rugged ground’, which was chosen because it describes the band’s complex and colourful sound in an appropriate way.

In the turn of the last months, ASPERA has been expanding their following and introducing their music to a new and larger audience by sharing stages both within Norway with bands like Pagan’s Mind, Circus Maximus or Audrey Horne and most recently also debuting internationally when the band supported former Nightwish vocalist Tarja Turunen for two shows in Spain and one show in Switzerland.

Due to each member’s personal wide range in musical taste and interests, ASPERA’s music showcases a fresh and very individual blend of heavy and tight riffing, atmospheric soundscapes, an abundance of melody, skilled solos and yet an ever-present "in-your-face" rock'n'roll attitude with a strong focus on catchy melodies and focused songwriting. ASPERA quote acts like Pain Of Salvation, Pagan’s Mind, Symphony X, Dream Theater, Evergrey or Soilwork as common favourites and stylistic influences, which further stresses the point that a high level of musicianship and creativity are elementary components of ASPERA’s approach. Vocalist Atle Pettersen adds another extremely interesting layer to the band’s profound sound with his very expressive melodic range and a captivating sense for effective hooklines.

The band’s debut full-length album "Ripples" has been recorded in their home-studio in Skien, Norway, and was later mixed and mastered to sonic perfection at Fascination Street Studios in Sweden by Jens Bogren, who has previously produced bands such as Opeth, Paradise Lost, Hammerfall or Symphony X. Bogren was obviously impressed by the potential of the young musicians and comments on “Ripples” as follows: “The debut album from ASPERA is one of the best progressive metal albums I've heard in a looong time! Since 1992, to be exact! It was an honor helping the band getting the album the way they deserve."

“Ripples” consists of 10 extremely well-composed and varied songs wrapped in a dynamic and a powerful production. The album features Nils K. Rue (Pagan’s Mind) on background vocals and comes with artwork created by Gustavo Sazes (Firewind, Arch Enemy, Dream Evil, etc.), visually enhancing the basic concept that ‘every single action has a consequence, either on a personal or global level’’, which is what connects all lyrics and the album’s title.

In a scene and market currently oversaturated by faceless, standardized bands and their average product, truly inspired and gifted musicians encounter a hard time to be allowed to shine through. That’s why young talent like ASPERA does deserve our attention and support all the more, as “Ripples” is very likely only a first sign of great things to come…

Line-Up:
Atle Pettersen – Vocals
Robin Ognedal – Guitars
Rein T. Blomquist – Bass
Joachim Strøm Ekelund – Drums
Nickolas Main Henriksen – Keyboards

Discography:
Ripples – CD 2010

Band Websites:
www.asperaofficial.com
www.myspace.com/asperaofficial

ASPERA - "Ripples" CD (54:47)
Tracklisting:
01. Intro (1:30)
02. Ripples (6:33)
03. Do I Dare? (5:31)
04. Remorse (6:21)
05. Between Black & White (8:12)
06. Catatonic Coma (5:44)
07. Torn Apart (4:58)
08. Traces Inside (7:51)
09. Reflections (2:03)
10. The Purpose (5:58)

I found out about this band by accident recently. Since checking their music, this has been a release that I'm awaiting anxiously.

Here's a cool little live video with their song Remorse:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been keeping my eyes on this guys since i saw them as "Illusion" doing a support act for Pagan's Mind 2-3 years ago. I'd say, the sky is the limit for these guys. Extremely talented guys and despite their age loads of gigs behind them making them really great on stage.

I have seen them live 4 times this year as Aspera and they just keep getting better and better. So for me the album is a must have come January.:headbang:

Here is some pics from the metal prog fest in Oslo in August.

http://fugazifoto.blogspot.com/search/label/Aspera