ASTRAL DOORS

SavaVIDude

Savatage Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
Houston, Texas, USA, Earth
I'm on my first listen of "New Revalation" and am VERY impressed. It usually takes me longer to warm up to a band. I like their blend of prog and power. I REALLY like the vox - this guy has a cool voice. Looking forward to seeing them next year!!

Chris :headbang:

From the Astral Doors website:
"Nils Patrik Johansson

Instrument: Singer

Bio: Patrik started out his career as a drummer back in the 80’s, but he soon realized that his destiny was to sing. After being in a lot of different bands, Patrik joined Johan and Joachim 2001 and started Astral Doors. Influenced by singers like Ronnie James Dio, Glenn Hughes, David Coverdale etc. he reached his first success in Richard Andersson’s Space Odyssey which came out just before the debut album from Astral Doors which became an even bigger success. Patrik is now established as one of the great vocalists and beside of Astral Doors, he’s also the voice behind Wuthering Heights and Lion’s Share."

Check out Wuthering Heights as well. I beleive he sings on the latest Lion's Share album as well.

I'm on my first listen of "New Revalation" and am VERY impressed. It usually takes me longer to warm up to a band. I like their blend of prog and power. I REALLY like the vox - this guy has a cool voice. Looking forward to seeing them next year!!

Chris :headbang:

You MUST listen to "Of the Son and the Father"!!!!!!

It is soooo Rainbow/Dio influenced and absolutely ROCKS!!!!!

i heard one cd, and was instantly turned off by his voice, i dont remember the cd but it was enough to make me not bother picking up another one.

i heard one cd, and was instantly turned off by his voice, i dont remember the cd but it was enough to make me not bother picking up another one.

Usually I don't bother to jump in when someone puts negative critique on one of the bands I work with, however, I honestly don't understand how anyone can be turned off by Nils Patrik's voice - he is a brilliant singer, technically better than 99% of those who've ever played ProgPower and with an amazing vocal-personality. Anyway, to each their own I guess :)

Usually I don't bother to jump in when someone puts negative critique on one of the bands I work with, however, I honestly don't understand how anyone can be turned off by Nils Patrik's voice - he is a brilliant singer, technically better than 99% of those who've ever played ProgPower and with an amazing vocal-personality. Anyway, to each their own I guess :)
I love his voice! ASTRAL DOORS is DIO-era RAINBOW reincarnated. And, thank God for that. Nils is THE main reason I love this band.

I honestly don't understand how anyone can be turned off by Nils Patrik's voice - he is a brilliant singer, technically better than 99% of those who've ever played ProgPower and with an amazing vocal-personality. Anyway, to each their own I guess :)

l have to agree...if you like Dio...you like this guy. It's like Dio with a turbocharger shoved up his ass. Possesses a chameleonlike vocal ability. IMO...2nd only to Jorn.

I found his voice ok, but its sorta nasily.

Yep, I love 'em! They are flying the flag for traditional melodic metal and
for me NEW REVELATION is one of the best albums of the year. Cool how
they injected a bit of Accept into the Rainbow/Sabbath/Dio mix they are
usually known for...

i think when it comes to vocalists, there are alot of them who pass out of the normal fields of the spectrum

lets take like james labrie and matt barlow for example.

james labrie, i wouldnt call his voice real unique, but it is a little different, its definitely more distinguishable than many other vocalists. Barlows is more unique but about the same level of distinguishablity.

while many people think that labrie and barlow excel in the vocal department, other people, fans of the same vein of music of both of these guys, often cringe at the sound of their voices. barlow and labrie take quite a bit of heat from some other fans. it seems that when you have a good singer, to someone else, even if they are a fan of the same genre, what you hear as being good, the other person will hear it as a negative impact on their voice. while i might listen to barlow and labrie and say, i dont see how you couldnt like these guys, other people might say how CAN you like these guys, but yet i might share interest with tons of other singers/groups with that person. seems that vocalists that are out of the norm a bit, are hit or miss, they might hit with more people than they miss with but id classify them as hit or miss.

while i cant really pinpoint what it is about the astral doors guy, his voice sounds god awful to me, and obviously hes great, otherwise all of you other guys wouldnt have said he was. i dont really see how you like him but most of you have at least a semi-respectable opinion, so obviously he isnt god awful, hes just on the wrong side of the fence for me.

if a topic were created to ask " who is the best metal singer of all time?"
i would answer nils patrick johansson no doubt without comparing him with anyone else singer(even the most valuable) that earth has brought : its unholy soulful voice kick so much ass!

One of the top vocalists in the genre. What I don't understand is how he can bellow out such a powerful, intense voice through his long, thin, bent (and naked) torso...seems contrary to the science of vocal production. I love the contrast between his intense voice and his sweet voice in Wuthering Heights.