Astronomers detect '10th planet'

Nov 23, 2002
"Astronomers have detected what they are calling the '10th planet' orbiting our Sun.

It is bigger than Pluto, the ninth planet, which is 2,250 km across, and was discovered by three US astronomers.

It is the largest object found in our Solar System since the discovery of Neptune in 1846.

The object, designated 2003 UB313, is currently 97 Earth-Sun distances away - more than twice Pluto's average distance from the Sun.

It is in a peculiar orbit, unlike that of the other planets. Astronomers think that at some point in its history Neptune likely flung it into its highly inclined 44 degree orbit...."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4730061.stm

There have been many more "planets"
discovered inside this object, but this is still pretty big.

I actually wrote a paper about this for my astronomy class. This is pretty much an insignificant rock, but calls into question what we define as a planet and what we call asteroids. Technically, Pluto probably shouldn't be a planet, but it's the most popular planet in many polls, and there's no real reason to change its status. There are probably hundreds of similar objects in orbit of the sun.

MasterOLightning said:
I actually wrote a paper about this for my astronomy class. This is pretty much an insignificant rock, but calls into question what we define as a planet and what we call asteroids. Technically, Pluto probably shouldn't be a planet, but it's the most popular planet in many polls, and there's no real reason to change its status. There are probably hundreds of similar objects in orbit of the sun.
Yes

Ah, my mistake. I was half-expecting you to start in with something about Nancy Lieder and Jim McCanney and their Planet X stuff.

Would I be wrong if I said Pluto was Planet X?

Then wouldn't anything discovered after Pluto be named Planet X temporarily? Like Sedna?

Well it's not a "really really" a new planet. It is about three times farer from the sun than pluto, so it's basically just in the line of our solar system.

_41360177_planet2003_ub313.gif