At a loss as to whish road to take drum-wise (studio set up)

HCL

Holy Crap! Lions!
Jul 13, 2010
Plymouth, UK
I'm currently budgeting for my project studio build and I'm at a crossroads regarding drums. I have a medium sized room at my disposal with a limited budget.

I plan to buy a Countryman 85 and a Mackie Blackjack for recording instruments and vocals. Obviously this rules out tracking real drums (two inputs). The plan being to use the two inputs to record overheads and trigger the kick, snare and toms. I would run the triggers through a drum module and record the midi into my DAW. This is obviously great for convience, consistent quality and affordability.

The whole thing hinges on the viability of using a drum module to record the MIDI generated by the triggers into my DAW. Is this possible? Or is the only way to get an interface with more channels, plugging the triggers into the inputs and using their audio signal to trigger samples ITB?

The only interface with enough channels in my price range is the tascam us800. I've heard that they have poor converters and preamps and it makes more sense to me to record less channels at a higher quality using the mackie. The quality loss won't be important for triggering purposes - The drawback is the quality of the DIs, instruments and vocals. Would anyone here consider this an acceptable tradeoff? Does the Tascam interface stand up to the Blackjack's preamps and converters?

To surmise - Is it possible to use triggers with a drum module, using the module to export MIDI to the DAW? If not, is the tascam us800 an acceptable alternative, given that it will be used for DIs, instruments and vocals too?

Thanks,
Adam

I always find it hard to do overheads with just 2 main mics... I like having a hihat and ride mic too... So 4 is my min requirements. But hey. See what's best for you!

Whilst they're nice to have (I mostly use them for reinforcing their position in the stereo image) I've been muting hats, china and ride mics in the mix.

Whilst they're nice to have (I mostly use them for reinforcing their position in the stereo image) I've been muting hats, china and ride mics in the mix.

same here, I've ended up muting the stupid Hi-hat mic in the mix, same with ride but less often. I think you would be fine with two overheads and the rest going through midi, sounds like the best option for your situation

What about buying a Saffire Pro 24 or another interface with ADAT input and buy a Behringer ADA8000 later? (obviously along with drum mikes)
Makes much more sense to me as this solution is futureproof.

Or buy now a Saffire Pro 40 or Presonus FireStudio Project now and buy a nice DI box (and drum mikes) later.

BTW, you should probably now that Blackjack is not a very solid piece of audio hardware when it comes to drivers and stability. Check Mackie forums - it didn't work at all in Win7 few weeks ago and it still doesn't work for everyone even now.