Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
At The Gates – Slaughter Of The Soul
Earache MOSH143CD 2002
By Russell Garwood

“Slaughter Of The Soul” is the final album of seminal melodic death metallers At The Gates – after this album their premature break up lead to the death of one of the most influential Gothenburg/NWOSDM bands. The short album has now been re-mastered and re-released by Earache with six bonus tracks (demos and covers). The limited edition slipcase includes explanatory liner notes on each track by Tomas Lindberg. There will also be new photos from the band’s personal archives. For this recording the line up stood as Tomas Lindberg – vocals, guitarists Anders Bjorler (lead) and Martin Larsson (rhythm), Jonas Bjorler on bass and drummer Adrian Erlandsson. By “Slaughter Of The Soul” the band’s sound has changed – gone are the violins, frequent time changes, fragmented feel, craziness and complexity that (for me) made their early work so original, demanding and likeable. Instead, the songs are more cohesive, simplistic, lucid, and focused, with a new thrash element helping make this the band’s most accessible album.

The guitars are fast and technical with energetic single note melodies and riffs over the down-tuned power chords of the rhythm guitar. Adrian’s drums are, as ever, precise and speedy, focusing less on blasts and more on double bass, while the vox are more pronounced. These are more screamed than the average death metal growl, and juxtapose the melodic guitars well while supporting the nihilistic lyrics. The bass has relatively little impact and the production, courtesy of Fredrik Nordström, is relatively clear and well balanced, allowing many of the elements to come through. For those new to At The Gates, this, arguably their most accessible album, would be a good place to start listening to the band, and standouts include “Slaughter Of The Soul”, “Cold”, “World Of Lies” and instrumentals “Into The Daed Sky” and “The Flames Of The End”. The six bonus tracks stand as follows:
Legion (Australian band “Slaughterlord” cover)
The Dying (Recorded during the 'Slaughter...' sessions and omitted from the album)
Captor of Sin (Slayer cover recorded for the 'Slaytanic Slaughter' tribute album)
Unto Others (demo '95)
Suicide Nation (demo '95)
Bister Verklighet (Swedish crust act “No Security” cover)
For those that already have the album, these quite extensive bonuses are all of a relatively high standard and provide interesting listening. Whether they are worth buying the entire album again for, however, depends on how big a fan you are.

I really enjoyed slaughter of the soul although i dont think it was there best album, personaly i prefered there first album

I'm curious how this newly "remastered" version differs production-wise from the original release. If there is a marked improvement I'll buy the new version for that reason alone but I don't recall any problems with the original CD that would have warranted its being remastered...just reissued.

Slaughter Of the Soul is the only At the gates i own. But i really like it. Iam yet to get the rerealese of it

this album is in my top 10 list of the best metal albums i listened.it combines melody and brutality awfully.it is the best swedish death metal album in my opinion.they are the legend of swedish death metal.they finished at the top!

I was reading this just now and something abou struck me as funny, it seems that rather than talk about how the album made the reviewer FEEL it was simply DESCRIBED as if the very specific technical aspects of the music merit it being better than say another album by AT THE GATES with different technical aspects. Okay sure it true to say there are differences but surely its the EFFECT you should be reviewing not the CAUSE?

Dan Fisher said:
I was reading this just now and something abou struck me as funny, it seems that rather than talk about how the album made the reviewer FEEL it was simply DESCRIBED as if the very specific technical aspects of the music merit it being better than say another album by AT THE GATES with different technical aspects. Okay sure it true to say there are differences but surely its the EFFECT you should be reviewing not the CAUSE?

That is something you are likely to find with all my reviews. I've always assumed that relatively few people want to know how I feel about an album - it is far better that I just describe the music, and if that interests people, they will check it out. There is no point in writing a review if all it says is "I like it, therefore you will too". That's what I figure anyway. It must be said, most reviews I write do have a few sentences in about how they make me feel, but Slaughter Of The Soul didn't have a huge effect on me... :)

LOVE IT!! still is an absolute classic..
totally agree on the comments about the reviews just there, i try and do exactly the same and lay down some fact about the music rather than if i liked it or not, i always add that in as well, but the most important thing is to try and comment on who might like this album, what other bands that person might be into to appreciate what we are listening to here etc.. so i don't agree with dan at all.. but that's just my perspective as a reviewer as well.

i don't understand why this album was ever re-released with extra songs, that's just the biggest ever rip off.. those songs should have seen a separate release.