At the Gates - "At War With Reality"

I bought the new Carcass album and listened to it exactly once.

I suspect that I'll go through the motions and do the same here.

see dimmu's re-recording of stormblast
I have no doubt they each got a new Bentley as soon as the record skyrocketed up the charts.

im not opposed to any band making music, reunion or otherwise, but lets call a spade a spade
You mean if someone was to judge a book by its cover... weighing in on the quality of an album before hearing it (for example)... we should call that out? Is that what you're saying? :heh:

I never mentioned the quality. I said I couldn't care less. I'm simply questioning motives.

The amount of money is irrelevant.

einride's a bit too negative about recent metal in general, partially evidenced by broad statements like "2014 sucks for metal", but I'm sure he's right about this ATG release. I won't know because I don't really have any interest in hearing this, though I will likely hear ATG play live again in the near future since they are playing with Vallenfyre.

i personally dont give a shit about this album, but did anyone TRULY expect a masterpiece here? or just "i want to hear new shit from those guys that released good shit 20 years ago"? yall are turning into lurch, which can be a good thing in some cases, but bad when looking for solid 2000's albums from great 80s/90s bands.

just. stop.

that being said, the carcass album and the newer asphyx stuff is good, but doesnt touch necroticism or last one on earth. not even the same fucking ballpark

Satan released an album last year. It's fantastic. They are now doing some US touring after coming over the pond for Wings of Metal last year and wrecking shit.

It's absolutely possible for a band to come back after 20+ years and be great. Just isn't very fucking likely.

I have to agree Satan's comeback was excellent. All I've heard from the new ATG makes it a worthy purchase, albeit nothing earth shattering. Whatever, there have been some great albums this year.

Life Sentence was kinda cool for a few listens and got the energy pumping, but i wouldn't really call it a good album. It's really overproduced and should've just done Court in the Act replays across the country, but they are probably tooo underground for that

Not sure I can think of one 'come back' album that was actually good

Not sure I can think of one 'come back' album that was actually good
King Crimson's Discipline. Otherwise... yeah.

I don't care if the new At the Gates sounds like Taylor Swift, I'll always love them for their early shit, and the memory of seeing them live when I was 16 remains a highlight of my metalized youth. What a fucking performance, and the stage presence of Tompa, holy fuck!

Been spinning the crap out of With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness lately, I never paid much attention to that one. It's pretty damn good, and as Adrian Belew said: I like it!

King Crimson's Discipline. Otherwise... yeah.

I don't care if the new At the Gates sounds like Taylor Swift, I'll always love them for their early shit, and the memory of seeing them live when I was 16 remains a highlight of my metalized youth. What a fucking performance, and the stage presence of Tompa, holy fuck!

Been spinning the crap out of With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness lately, I never paid much attention to that one. It's pretty damn good, and as Adrian Belew said: I like it!

This is a dangerous place.

Two of my favorite albums of all time. "raped by the light of Christ" through "primal breath" = perfection. 10/10 album. What year was it when you saw them?

This is a dangerous place.

Two of my favorite albums of all time. "raped by the light of Christ" through "primal breath" = perfection. 10/10 album. What year was it when you saw them?
Who should appear but two policemen?

1996 if I'm not mistaken. It was the tour where Morbid Angel were recording Entangled in Chaos, with At the Gates and Dissection in support. Also three other bands that I don't remember, possibly local acts. We went to see Morbid Angel, I had just discovered At the Gates, and none of us knew who the fuck Dissection were. Fantastic evening, minds were blown, and I saw some dude's face get ripped off! Good times.

EDIT:

Haha! The miracle of YouTube, this was the show I went to.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was indeed 1996. Saw that show. Could already tell Dave Vincent was ready to jump ship. ATG killed, and Dissection were amazeballs

I'm guessing you went to the Phoenix date? Do you remember any of the other bands on the tour? My recollection of the evening is quite vast, but I have ZERO memory of the non-triumvirate acts. As soon as Dissection hit the stage it was some life altering shit for the next few hours.

Damn right, the Mason Jar. Was the only legit metal venue in those days (RIP). Other bands were local. LA got Sadistic Intent. Think here was Morcid (lame ass death metal band)

If you want to avoid semantics, don't equate a money grab with all band members driving bentleys. Zod, you've been part of this forum for years. How is it you're not understanding where I'm coming from? Unless you're just playing devils advocate.