Atlanta Airport to add 10 more security lanes!

ATLANTA - Ten new security lanes to speed up the security screening process have been added at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport as part of a nearly $26 million customer service investment at the world's busiest airport.

Four of the new lanes are in the South terminal and the remaining six new lanes are in the North terminal. The additions bring the total number of security lanes to 32.

Read more here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27418008/

Great idea as I can remember having to be at the aiport quite a few hours in advance!

-Metal

Atlanta has finally mostly gotten their stuff together.

I'm still tempted to get one of the Clear passes for when I fly out on Mondays, but the lines are usually rather quick despite their length. I'm not really sure what they mean by South and North terminal though. Might mean that they opened up more lanes to the T-Gate (American Airlines).. which was previously 2, and then 6 for the main security checkthrough. Other than that... North and South terminals both go through the same security lines...

I know when SkiBumMSP and I left that Sunday after ProgPower this year, the lines were very long. They did open up extra lanes, but it still took over 30 minutes to get through. Thank goodness we had extra time padded into our schedule!

Very cool news, I remember the lines being insane a few years back but haven't really had a problem since. The last 2 years it probably hasn't taken me more than 15-20 to get through which you really can't complain about.

I'm not really sure what they mean by South and North terminal though. Might mean that they opened up more lanes to the T-Gate (American Airlines).. which was previously 2, and then 6 for the main security checkthrough. Other than that... North and South terminals both go through the same security lines...

Hey, yeah, you're right. As written, the story makes no sense. I'd have expected more accuracy from MSNBC.

Oh, wait. Maybe not.

Sounds pretty accurate, went through there Monday:

On the south terminal side, the former first class and medallion frequent flier shortcut lane is now a Clear-only lane into the common security checkpoint area, and there are four new first class / medallion security lines at the T-gates end of South terminal.

After the new security checkpoints, you zig zag your way down couple flights of escalators and end up at the T-gates train "station" from the opposite side.

Neet.

I've GOT to go down there sometime and check it out. My friend James looooves airliners, so we can make an afternoon of it and go plane-watching. Happily, parking at ATL is a lot cheaper than at many airports. (Philly, $7/hour. WTF?)

It has to be from the 8+ years of having to accommodate all of us black tshirt wearing metal heads ever fall, they've decided to expand!

I feel honored (giggle)!

Neet.

I've GOT to go down there sometime and check it out. My friend James looooves airliners, so we can make an afternoon of it and go plane-watching. Happily, parking at ATL is a lot cheaper than at many airports. (Philly, $7/hour. WTF?)

Wow...you would actually choose to go to the airport...for fun?! The place makes my blood pressure rise... o_O

Wow...you would actually choose to go to the airport...for fun?! The place makes my blood pressure rise... o_O

Sure!

Back in the old days we used to drive down there, watch planes take off and land from the end of Concourse C (which had the best unblocked view) and go to the once-awesome arcade that used to be located between the two terminals.