Atlanta weekend of metal! Who will be at the Masquerade this weekend?

Palabra de Dios

Heavy Metal Weatherman
Mar 22, 2005
St. Joseph, MO
Cynic/Devin Townsend on Saturday and Behemoth/Septic Flesh on Sunday!

I'm pumped about both shows, gonna make a weekend out of this. Two great tours in two consecutive days. Pretty sweet. Anyone else from the Atlanta area gonna be at one or both of these shows? I'll be there...just look for me and my denim patch vest...and probably the bullet belt too.

Cynic/Devin Townsend on Saturday and Behemoth/Septic Flesh on Sunday!

I'm pumped about both shows, gonna make a weekend out of this. Two great tours in two consecutive days. Pretty sweet. Anyone else from the Atlanta area gonna be at one or both of these shows? I'll be there...just look for me and my denim patch vest...and probably the bullet belt too.

I should be at both shows. :headbang:

Dang, if I'd known you were coming into town for both nights I'd have looked into getting a hotel room in/near Atlanta overnight. Wasn't looking forward to driving back and forth two days in a row, especially in the coldest weather so far this winter (and THAT's sayin' something, this year).

I'll be at Btbam etc.. assuming that I can make it there without wrecking on a patch of ice. I'm not really familiar with the groups playing, but one of my friends from tech really wanted to go see Devin Townsend so it should be fun.

I should be at both shows. :headbang:

Dang, if I'd known you were coming into town for both nights I'd have looked into getting a hotel room in/near Atlanta overnight. Wasn't looking forward to driving back and forth two days in a row, especially in the coldest weather so far this winter (and THAT's sayin' something, this year).

Paul, it will be great to see you there, my friend. I was on the fence on going just based on weather reports. If you'd believe what weather models were telling us pre-Thursday, you'd believe that there'd be ice and snow all over the place and stuff. It's quite a bit safer on those roads than that...even though it is still very very cold.

Regardless, it will be two awesome shows. I've yet to see any of the bands playing these tours except for Septic Flesh that played at Scion Rock Fest...so this will be a treat all around for me.

How early do people usually get to the Masquerade in order to grab a spot on the rail? I think I was there maybe 15 minutes before the doors opened for Eluveitie and got a spot on the side, but I'm not sure if that's usually the case or not.

How early do people usually get to the Masquerade in order to grab a spot on the rail? I think I was there maybe 15 minutes before the doors opened for Eluveitie and got a spot on the side, but I'm not sure if that's usually the case or not.

The trick is to wait for Halcyon Way to get to about their 3rd song when everybody leaves! ;p JK. Hmm... in what Iv'e seen you can usually get '2nd' row in between any set by just working your way up.

I'm working 5-9 tonight but I will pay someone $20 to steal Cynic's gear and wait until 9:40 to give it back so I can see them. :)

I hope I get there w/o getting in a wreck I'm coming from Cartersville.

For last night's show, 15 minutes before doors probably wouldn't have gotten you on the rail, but not too far away. Within "worming your way up close" distance, certainly.

It was a crowded show....not sure if it was quite sold out, but it couldn't have been too far off.

Aside from Devy's sample/backing issues, Cynic having to drop "Veil of Maya" from their set (apparently due to patch problems), and too-short sets from both of the above, it was an excellent show overall. Scale the Summit were just as good as I was expecting and BtB&M were great...I don't know too much of their material but they are clearly so much more than a basic "core" band. (Many of their fans seem actively unaware of this.)

I'm working 5-9 tonight but I will pay someone $20 to steal Cynic's gear and wait until 9:40 to give it back so I can see them. :)

I hope I get there w/o getting in a wreck I'm coming from Cartersville.

I think, if you got there by 9:40, that you were in luck for catching Cynic. Close, though.

We got there 3 and a half hours early for the Cynic/BTBAM/etc show. And we were barely the first in line. I got front and center all night! But God, was it cooooooooold!!!! Cynic is now one of my favorite live bands. And I really hate all the hardcore BTBAM fans.... hahaha I almost got my neck broken by a damn crowd surfer. The crowd was RIDICULOUS. I personally would have just left, or at least just moved back after Cynic, but a buddy of mine was with us and hes a huge BTBAM fan, so I didn't want to abandon him. Devin was pretty awesome too. I just kinda get bored with his music... He definitely has a hilarious personality though. A very entertaining person.

We got there 3 and a half hours early for the Cynic/BTBAM/etc show. And we were barely the first in line. I got front and center all night! But God, was it cooooooooold!!!! Cynic is now one of my favorite live bands. And I really hate all the hardcore BTBAM fans.... hahaha I almost got my neck broken by a damn crowd surfer. The crowd was RIDICULOUS. I personally would have just left, or at least just moved back after Cynic, but a buddy of mine was with us and hes a huge BTBAM fan, so I didn't want to abandon him.

Wow, yeah, never saw ya there although I did see others from your band(s).

3.5 hours in that cold and wind is just brutal. I've got a headache now and I'm hoping I don't come down with something (want to go back down for Behemoth tomorrow), and I was only outside in the cold for half an hour!

Devin was pretty awesome too. I just kinda get bored with his music... He definitely has a hilarious personality though. A very entertaining person.

That was far from a great show from him, too. :mad: I don't know how much of his setlist he had to cut due to technical problems, but it seemed really short. Much shorter than at PPUSA III...and he has ten solo CDs out now, instead of 2 or 3.

On the other hand, and lord willing, we will be the only audience ever to get the "click-track" version of Devy's show. :saint:

On the other hand, and lord willing, we will be the only audience ever to get the "click-track" version of Devy's show. :saint:

Ha! Yeah, that was great. I would have loved to hear him play some of his more mellow stuff. Thats the material I can really enjoy of his.

Im just glad I could finally see Cynic! I hope they decide to come back sometime soon, and do a MUCH longer set.

As far as getting there early for a good spot, I was completely unaware how popular Btbam was. Although I haven't been to a large amount of shows, the only time I've seen a line that long was when Nightwish played. Scale the Summit was awesome and a good opening act. Devin Townsend seemed like a really cool guy and even though his set was short and he had some technical problems it was really entertaining. Gotta love those facial expressions. Cynic was amazing and the one band I was really looking forward to seeing. I enjoyed having the drum set so close to the front of the stage. As soon as Cynic finished the crowd started pressing forward and I decided that I didn't want to deal with it any more so I observed from afar. I like metal, but I don't like moshing/having crowd surfers dropped on me/people lighting up in front of me /end rant.

Yeah, I thought the show would do well, but it seemed close to a sellout.

I was standing by the doors and after Cynic finished it was almost like someone set off a stinkbomb inside, the outgoing flow of people was pretty thick. Granted, some of them were just going outside to smoke or whatnot, but it was clear that a lot of metalheads were only there to see the openers.

I'm starting to feel pretty sick, so I'm gonna have to skip Behemoth. :(

I think, if you got there by 9:40, that you were in luck for catching Cynic. Close, though.

Nope. I missed em. :(

But BTBAM was worth it. It was the 3rd time I've seen them but they played their new stuff, my favorite song again (Ants), Swim to the Moon/White Walls back to back and a few songs I haven't heard live before.

Setlist:

Obfuscation
Disease, Injury, Madness
More of Myself to Kill
Ants of the Sky
Alaska
Swim to the Moon
--------------------------------------------
White Walls

Of course the new stuff sounded great and More of Myself to Kill was 10x better live, much like Shevanel Cut a Flip is on Colors Live. The production just kills the s/t for me so it was cool to hear that. Swim to the Moon was just epic and the highlight, followed by White Walls, so the combination of 2 long epic songs as the closers was great.

I got the Great Misdirect and a Cynic shirt. I just hope Cynic comes back soon so I can finally see them.

As for the rail thing, depends on who's playing. If I really want rail I'll usually get there an hour or 2 before doors open. However, I have no problems getting 2nd row every time just running all the way from the back. You just gotta push. It's easy.

Does anyone know what Cynic played?

Mostly stuff from Traced in Air. Can't remember the entire set, but I recall: The Space for This, King of Those Who Know, Evolutionary Sleeper, Adam's Murmur, Integral Birth, and one or two from Focus. I think that was it. I was very pleased, as I prefer Traced in Air over Focus.