ATROX

renejanssen

Apr 19, 2005
Baarlo, The Netherlands
www.progpower.eu
We are very pleased that we succeeded to book the Norwegian band ATROX! The band is on our list for a while but we have waited until they came up with a new album. Now they have released their 5th album entitled Binocular, so it is time to have these guys on stage. Hopefully you all like our choice.

It's a pity Atrox couldn't make it to PP back when they had the best female singer in the history of heavy metal, but I still like the new Atrox and am very happy with this choice. I do wonder though if they'll play stuff from Contentum or Terrestrials live.

It's a pity Atrox couldn't make it to PP back when they had the best female singer in the history of heavy metal, but I still like the new Atrox and am very happy with this choice. I do wonder though if they'll play stuff from Contentum or Terrestrials live.

:lol: I always thought their old vocalist was utterly shite, badly out of tune on every note she crucified, but that's just my humble opinion :loco:

Then my humble opinion is that you haven't gotten the slightest clue about anything music related. Honestly, you'd think that progressive metal fans would be open for a little experimentation. She did fucking insane and novel things with her voice, unlike the army of female clones out there doing their standard boring as shit quasi operatic singing. Technically though, and this I can judge, she was spot on. Listen again, honestly. Point out one part where she is off key, just one.

erm..... Keep your panty hose on. As I said it was ONLY my opinion, and, as a professional classical musician for 35 years I beleive I do know what I'm talking about. Although I do concede that she only sounded like she was out of tunew, so maybe I was a little hasty. But I reserve my right to have an opinion.:kickass:

IN ZE REICH UNDER ZE FUHRER DANIEL KLEIN, NO ONE GETS TO HAVE AN OPINION!!!

But really, it's a pet peeve over here. All these female singers being a copy of a copy of a copy, and then when something novel and amazing comes along, the narrow-minded sheep dismiss it as "off tune" or stupid or whatever. You get to say you don't like it, but perpetuating the "omg I don't like this so she must be off key" meme--not on my watch.

Really, give Orgasm a few more listens. It'll be an eye-opening moment once you get it. It was like that for me with Spiral Architect. At first, wow, that's noise, what the fuck are those guys doing? A few hundred listens later I was in love with the band ;)

:lol: I always thought their old vocalist was utterly shite, badly out of tune on every note she crucified, but that's just my humble opinion :loco:

Cyberfloat my friend, you make me wonder. I thought you'd say Monica's style is not your cup of tea; but saying she sang out of key is simply wrong. You as a professional musician and lover of progressive music shouldn't judge that hard.

I always loved Atrox because of Monika's extraordinary and experimental vocals. What they are writing without her now sounds like generic power metal to me and they better do a good job in convincing me that tey are still an outstanding band.

Yesterday I took a listen at Atrox's most peculiar music.
started with the album Orgasm, that I saw mentioned here someplace.

I can completely see that someone with a classical background might see (or in this case hear) the vocals as out of tune, as they don't really follow a logical pattern in the same way as vocals or melodies in classical music.

...but with this said, she does perform a surreal amount of incredible vocal acrobatics that I could only dream of doing.
In my opinion her vocals are just that, acrobatics. or maybe (as Steve Vai on Frank Zappa albums was credited "stunt guitarist") a stunt vocals.

First off the vocal style isn't very easy on the ears, but after a while you might grow used to it... or just end up hating it.

But hey, Atrox is pretty often credited as avant-garde
and that means can do pretty much whatever they want to and call it art.

Cyberfloat my friend, you make me wonder. I thought you'd say Monica's style is not your cup of tea; but saying she sang out of key is simply wrong. You as a professional musician and lover of progressive music shouldn't judge that hard.

I say let's not quite yet crucify Cyberfloat, because he mentioned he was bringin along whisky to PP :)
Besides, everyone has a right to be a critic and there isn't much point in being critical if you love everything :lol:

I always loved Atrox because of Monika's extraordinary and experimental vocals. What they are writing without her now sounds like generic power metal to me and they better do a good job in convincing me that tey are still an outstanding band.

As for the latest album... I gave that as well a listen.
I have to say I got no touch of the music what-so-ever.

I wouldn't compare the music to powermetal, like Raimond did, because the singer lacks the high powermetal vocals and the music isn't really that melodic.

The vocals are mixed very low to give more space for the music, but the songs are too complicated that nothing really sticks.
The singer isn't bad, but lacks something from his voice that would make him memorable or to stick out.
For me while listening to music it's the melodies and/or the vocals are the most important part.
so sadly I didn't get much out of the latest Atrox album.

Über alles, atrox still has some work convincing me that they are a great band, they have some very interesting ideas, but what I have heard, they have yet to nail together the perfect song to make all other songs useless.

We will see how they perform live... :headbang:

...and when the whisky is gone, then we crucify everyone. :Smokin:

I say let's not quite yet crucify Cyberfloat, because he mentioned he was bringin along whisky to PP :)
Besides, everyone has a right to be a critic and there isn't much point in being critical if you love everything :lol:

I would never crucify cyberfloat, he's a great friend, and I'm a lucky man for calling him so.

After a long while of chatting at progulus.com (best internet radio in this galaxy), the first time we ever met each other outside the cyberspace was last years progpower.

And I think stunt vocals is a great description of Monicas skills! :OMG:

I didn't think anyone would actually crucify him,
but I used it as a figure of speech for think people shouldn't be so blunt with their own opinions, as to not regards his.

well. maybe we shall sit down and discuss this matter further at PP :)

peace out.

well. maybe we shall sit down and discuss this matter further at PP over a pint of single malt :)

Watch out for those sentence fragments in English. You forgot to end the sentence properly ;)

I've yet to hear Atrox, but now I'm wondering... are they at all melodic or is the music too artsy and the vocals too acrobatic to be considered melodic? Avant-garde is great for a song or two, but I like being able to relax my ears too!

in my opinion it's pretty artsy.
but i think the new material is a bit more melodic. not that much acrobatics, because I don't think the new guy has it in him.

I was just going to add that I plan on listening to many bands this year rather than socializing :p

The whip situation: I have two whips that I could polish up, but they're my active-duty riding lesson whips. We will not have time to find a paddle, so perhaps the smaller "bat" whip will suffice?

In unrelated news, Kalle returns home tomorrow from his "Prog Power Conference" :D

Eek! Good point! Hopefully he'll have a look. I have no idea what the prices are like in Turkey. Mmm, Turkey. I'm so Hungary. ;)

Or dragged into the street and shot, depending on your level of pun tolerance ;) It IS lunch time though! Speaking of vocal acrobatics, I'll have to sing to myself while on my walk since I forgot my mp3 player at home.

Don't worry, I'll be flat, avant-garde and show a very stunted vocal range.