ATTIC - late to the party

TribunalRecords

Record Label(s)/Vocalist
Sep 12, 2007
www.tribunalrecords.net
So i illegally downloaded their new album because of all the hype.

HOLY CRAP. i am in love. Best Mercyful Fate since Mercyful Fate. Great to see a band going for the throat like this in regards to their homage.

Going to chat with the label about a trade to get some copies in the estore. If it wouldn't be so late after the German release I would talk to them about a US license (yes, it's that good).

Last edited by a moderator:
If you get copies, be sure to let everyone know. I need this and I don't want to spend 20 dollars on amazon.

If you get copies, be sure to let everyone know. I need this and I don't want to spend 20 dollars on amazon.

They're going to expensive everywhere, I dont want to charge $20 like i am for them but when the label has a high cost for distributors due to "lavish" packaging, it's almost impossible to price them the same as a regular cd. That why i held preorders for cheaper before i actually i ordered them from Van Records.

So i illegally downloaded their new album because of all the hype.

HOLY CRAP. i am in love. Best Mercyful Fate since Mercyful Fate. Great to see a band going for the throat like this in regards to their homage.

Going to chat with the label about a trade to get some copies in the estore. If it wouldn't be so late after the German release I would talk to them about a US license (yes, it's that good).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZxsPXd0qu8

Does it sound more Mercyful Fate than Hell Theater "The Reincarnation Of Evil"? If so, I want it! I don't care if they directly and blatantly have stolen Hank Sherman's riffs. I love 'em that much...:headbang:

They're going to expensive everywhere, I dont want to charge $20 like i am for them but when the label has a high cost for distributors due to "lavish" packaging, it's almost impossible to price them the same as a regular cd. That why i held preorders for cheaper before i actually i ordered them from Van Records.

Labels have a high cost to distributors due to 'lavish' packaging? I thought it was based on units, or weight...:err:

When the packaging is bigger or shaped differently, you get fewer units in a box...making the ultimate cost per unit shipped more expensive...

...at least that's how I understand it.

That is super shitty. And improbable. IF this is true, I would have the labels dismantle the 'lavish' packaging before they shipped the items to me, if I were the distributor. At least without the jewel cases, if applicable. Why would a record company make it harder for a distributor to buy their product? Smells like bullshit, to me and a way for distributors to squeeze a few extra bucks out of the buying public...

That is super shitty. And improbable. IF this is true, I would have the labels dismantle the 'lavish' packaging before they shipped the items to me, if I were the distributor. At least without the jewel cases, if applicable. Why would a record company make it harder for a distributor to buy their product? Smells like bullshit, to me and a way for distributors to squeeze a few extra bucks out of the buying public...

The Attic a digipak with thicker than usual carboard, and the Attic logo and all tracks on the outside of the digi are gold foil embossed.

As you can tell by that they were more expensive for the label to produce and therefore they had a higher cost for me. And this was not able to be dismantled, as you can tell because it was a digi.

Also, just because you have the cases removed doesnt meant the product is cheaper, just the shipping cost.

I hope youre not calling bullshit on me for this, because i do take pride in what i do and do it for all us metalheads and not the money, if i did it for the money you can sure as hell bet i wouldnt be in the metal industry....

basic cost of CD manufacturing (doesn't include ads, tour support, etc), here we go.

1. studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
2. artwork
3. layout
4. printing options things that make the price go up are the following - colors on a disc, pages in a booklet, stickers on shrinkwrap, die-cut booklets, embossed print, etc.
5. # of unit pressed, the less pressed the more the prices goes UP.

EVERYTHING has an additional cost starting at a 4 panel booklet and 1 color cd and standard jewel case. going up from there adds to the cost.

I also spoke with Svenn at Van Records about trading for the Attic and he didn't seem very interested (which is fine because I actually don't trade either). he also didn't seem very interested in US market much for this album at the moment so the packaging that was put together was meant for Europe and not us. Plus the Euro is still CRUSHING the USD so the conversion on something of his wholesale had to be stupid expensive as well.

Just things to think about.

The band has a big cartel page, but it's still 24 dollars for the album with shipping to the US.

I like this band, but I have so many other albums still on my want list, even rare things, that would be less expensive than this. Guess I'll just have to wait.

The Attic a digipak with thicker than usual carboard, and the Attic logo and all tracks on the outside of the digi are gold foil embossed.

As you can tell by that they were more expensive for the label to produce and therefore they had a higher cost for me. And this was not able to be dismantled, as you can tell because it was a digi.

Also, just because you have the cases removed doesnt meant the product is cheaper, just the shipping cost.

I hope youre not calling bullshit on me for this, because i do take pride in what i do and do it for all us metalheads and not the money, if i did it for the money you can sure as hell bet i wouldnt be in the metal industry....

So the cost is definitely not due to the discs taking up more room in a shipping box, then. My comment was in response to that statement...If you're saying it's because of manufacturing, then I fully understand, and can relate to it.

So the cost is definitely not due to the discs taking up more room in a shipping box, then. My comment was in response to that statement...If you're saying it's because of manufacturing, then I fully understand, and can relate to it.

Yes the increased price is fully due to the manufacturing/packaging of the released material. The label actually gave me a good deal on shipping.

basic cost of CD manufacturing (doesn't include ads, tour support, etc), here we go.

1. studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
2. artwork
3. layout
4. printing options things that make the price go up are the following - colors on a disc, pages in a booklet, stickers on shrinkwrap, die-cut booklets, embossed print, etc.
5. # of unit pressed, the less pressed the more the prices goes UP.

EVERYTHING has an additional cost starting at a 4 panel booklet and 1 color cd and standard jewel case. going up from there adds to the cost.

I also spoke with Svenn at Van Records about trading for the Attic and he didn't seem very interested (which is fine because I actually don't trade either). he also didn't seem very interested in US market much for this album at the moment so the packaging that was put together was meant for Europe and not us. Plus the Euro is still CRUSHING the USD so the conversion on something of his wholesale had to be stupid expensive as well.

Just things to think about.

Matt when you get your copy from me (anyday now) youll see why it was more expensive. But hey I had to get some copies for all USA fans, so i did, and theyre almost gone already! :O

The band has a big cartel page, but it's still 24 dollars for the album with shipping to the US.

I like this band, but I have so many other albums still on my want list, even rare things, that would be less expensive than this. Guess I'll just have to wait.

Im selling them for $25.50 total with US shipping. Yes, they're expensive I know and I wish they weren't but I doubt the price will go down much unless it gets licensed in the USA and comes in a Jewel Case version but I doubt that will be happening anytime soon. Highly Recommended album.

But actually he is correct somewhat. if the packaging is larger and weighs more than an average CD and takes up more space it's definitely going to cost more per unit to ship.

less in a box and paying more in shipping because they are heavier means higher cost per unit in the end.

Im selling them for $25.50 total with US shipping. Yes, they're expensive I know and I wish they weren't but I doubt the price will go down much unless it gets licensed in the USA and comes in a Jewel Case version but I doubt that will be happening anytime soon. Highly Recommended album.

Am I seeing this right? Your webshop is under maintenance? It was the same thing when I visited it a few months ago. Am I missing something, or do you keep worse hours than a small town post office?