attn: minx, goatschool, fellow pseudo-intellectuals

xfer

I JERK OFF TO ARCTOPUS
Nov 8, 2001
New York City
www.geocities.com
have you read last week's new yorker? it has a LOT of very good articles, including a big and detailed piece about Bjork (with lots of information about her compositional techniques), a WWI thing, and an Oliver Sacks essay about the perception of time and neural influences on it.

the Oliver Sacks thing was REALLY interesting to me because i'd been musing over one of the issues he touches on the week before i read this! about how the brain, in certain situations, perceives things as "frames", rather than a continuous flow. i had been wondering about that myself, and had concluded that we couldn't perceive stuff in a continuous flow, so our "frames" were "moments of perception" that our brains put together...and according to Sacks I was mostly right! of course he thought of a zillion things i hadn't, so it was the perfect article: informative and also personal/engaging.

i have interesting stories about mr sacks. he's a very smart guy. i didn't see this article, but i think, reading this thread alex, you would find douglas hofstadter really interesting and/or life altering/threatening.

it's worth a subscription--so much so, in fact, that my house gets TWO subscriptions so both me and bill can always have the current copy in our backpacks to pull out on the T or wherever.

avi said:
my mom has a sub and I steal copies from her pretty often
I do that as well. Steal copies from my mom that is, not yours.

There's usually something interesting, but even if not the comics are always top notch.

of course.... my subscription to vogue is one of the many reasons i can hand out good fashion advice... so maybe it's not that bad.

my free subscriptions to 'brew your own' and 'vegetarian times' are about to end and I doubt I'll renew either. we didn't stick with the subscription to 'Cleanrun', the dog agility mag either.