Audio Interface for portability

I think you have that backwards. Dynamic mics generally require quite a bit more gain than a condenser. And when an interface preamp is spec'd out with 50db of gain that generally isnt all good sounding gain. Im by no means saying this isnt enough gain, because it is in most applications. On a quiet source with a large dynamic mic like a SM7b for example, it could get nasty sounding when the preamp is max'd out. It looks like a handy piece of gear though.

Yes you're right, talking out my arse there. Although I'd question your assertion that "when an interface preamp is spec'd out with 50db of gain that generally isnt all good sounding gain" - that isn't really born out by the stuff I've read.

But Craig Anderton had no problems when he reviewed the octa-capture, and they're the same preamps.
http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Pr...-Interface-Now-with-Conclusions/td-p/29947840

I've got some SM57's, SM58's, 421's, a few Rode M3's, SE Electronics pencil condensors, Audix D6, Shure Beta52, and a couple of cheapy T-Bone mics. I'll give them a bash and post files at some point. I think +50dB is more than enough for most applications, though I've never used a SM7b.

I wasn't referring to the roland product specifically. In generally i've found that low cost preamps (ones built into interfaces / moderate priced mixers) sound great/usable when they are in there "sweet spot" but when pushed they generally sound like shit. This is by know means a fact i was just sharing my insight. I also wouldnt let a low preamp gain alter my decision to buy an interface. Stability is everything to me when buying an interface. Cheers.