Auralex hoverdeck

SHAMELESS BUMP
Any other idea to make an isolation riser?

Found some stuff, something like
Take some rigid fiberglass glue on it an mdf board, lay this on the floor.
Health wise I think it's not really safe, at least you gotta use some fabric.
I wonder even if it's stable or it's like walking on a matress.

Kaomao, I might try laying carpet down (or something like this) and then building a standard drum riser with 2x4's and MPF and setting it on top. You can certainly put insulation within the riser as well but absorption isn't as valuable in this application as decoupling.

I read on gearsluts that if you don't put a bit of insulation underneath the riser, you can have even more problems due to some resonance going on where there's not material to decouple the floor from the base of the riser.
Argh I'm reading a lot of things I don't know what to do.
Unfortunately when I asked for a complete decoupled floor, the guy didn't listen to me.
Anyway I'm lucky I can blast my amp and nobody outside my house can complain, you can't hear that much, but still inside my house drums are making a bit of rumbling.

I saw a interview with the guys from daptone records and they used old tires stuffed with rags/clothes etc... and built the live rooms on top of them. could try building a drum riser like that. cheap too!

here's the vid

Last edited by a moderator:
not sure how it is in Italy but in the US there are so many used tires that repair shops usually have to pay like $2 per tire for junkyards to even take them off there hands. you might be able to call around and get some for free.

I always thought it would be cool to build a drum riser type deal on top of car struts that were somewhat worn out. But I don't know how they could be contained well enough to work, and they are kind of tall so I don't know how well that would work logistically.

Maybe like mini struts off an ATV or something? Or car springs cut in half sitting on top of something soft?

Yeah these are the dumb ideas floating around in my head. :lol:

Idealy I just want to build a drum room that attenuates things down dramatically.

The problem outside is due to the fact that probably your floor is not floating. This, as the walls, generates a wave transmission through the walls and the floor, outside the house and probably your neighboors recognize it much more inside their house than outside.
I say you this story...in summer at 2km from my house there is an Afro live show and when I am in my bed I can clearly hear the bongos and percussions and I think "I can't figure what chaos there is outside"....I go out and there is absolutely silence. It's because the rumble travel under earth and enter inside from floor and walls. Same thing if there is a live show in a pub at 200m.....rumble inside and silence outside.

The problem outside is due to the fact that probably your floor is not floating. This, as the walls, generates a wave transmission through the walls and the floor, outside the house and probably your neighboors recognize it much more inside their house than outside.
I say you this story...in summer at 2km from my house there is an Afro live show and when I am in my bed I can clearly hear the bongos and percussions and I think "I can't figure what chaos there is outside"....I go out and there is absolutely silence. It's because the rumble travel under earth and enter inside from floor and walls. Same thing if there is a live show in a pub at 200m.....rumble inside and silence outside.

Exactly this Michele.
Outside my house there's of course a minimal noise, but it's like a whisper.
Inside you can hear some rumble, not that much anyway, as I said past 11pm it's better to not record lol.

Just saying but be prepared to spend ton of money.
This happen because your room isn't build with floating floor.
Real question are: your room worth the money to do this or no?

Do you need both a floor and walls floating design or just floor?
right now I can't remember I need to read my "Home Recording Studio Build it Like the Pros"
My room is not worth it anyway. I gotta record a video to show you how loud it is compared to some other audio source

you need to have every walls and floor separated by the existent walls. If you do only the floor, sound can go the same throug your walls (and through the floor as well)...if only a single wall is an existent wall, the sound will be transmitted on every other "floating/separated" wall...
Sound is a bitch