Preamp Shootout RME vs. API vs. SSA, spoken word

LSD-Studio

HCAF crusher
Jul 2, 2006
Germany
www.lsd-tonstudio.de
k dudes,
since I've got them at home right now (haven't managed to bring them into the studio so far) I decided I could just do a little comparison-recording of the preamps that are here in my bedroom right now.

a more detailed test with more preamps, instruments and a better environment will follow, till then you can use this to get a first impression.

this file is just spoken word (sorry for the accent) tracked with sm57 and AKG414XLII as I said the files were recorded in my bedroom and the mics were a bit close to walls (like 40-50cm), so there's some comb-filtering going on, especially with the 414...but anyway, you get the idea.

the preamps are:

RME Quadmic
API 3124+
Safe Sound Audio Model P1

into RME multiface AD-->Cubase 4
no processing at all, jsut matched the levels.

here you go

Thanks!!!

RME Quadmic - sounds most "clean" to me...very transparent no bs going on..
API 3124+ - sounds warm and "comfy"...i like the sound of it..
Safe Sound Audio Model P1 - I think it's possible to describe this with 1 word "punchy"...

I've check these samples through a sennheiser headphone on my work G4 so I might be a little off, or this is just my opinion..but thanks for this..

It's good since I want to buy new preamps and i can compare the RME Quadmic probally to the pre's in an Octamic. I'm just curious how the RME would stand up against a Onyx then :)...

Thanks for these samples again!

Thanks!!!

RME Quadmic - sounds most "clean" to me...very transparent no bs going on..
API 3124+ - sounds warm and "comfy"...i like the sound of it..
Safe Sound Audio Model P1 - I think it's possible to describe this with 1 word "punchy"...

I've check these samples through a sennheiser headphone on my work G4 so I might be a little off, or this is just my opinion..but thanks for this..

It's good since I want to buy new preamps and i can compare the RME Quadmic probally to the pre's in an Octamic. I'm just curious how the RME would stand up against a Onyx then :)...

Thanks for these samples again!

you're welcome.

yeah, that's pretty much the impression I had, the RME is very clean but lacks a bit dynamics compared to the api but is a great pre for the price.
the API can get very agressive and InYerFace without being harsh and has awesome dynamics.
the P1 is the warmest and punchiest sounding to me, still it's very clear and transparent.
I think the P1 will be the best pre for vox in an digital environment.

If you wait a couple of days with your purchase I'll do a better test with SPL Goldmike and Focusrite Octopre as well.

cause I really wanna compare the API to the rest when it comes to guitarrecordings (where I think it'll be the best one).

k dudes,
since I've got them at home right now (haven't managed to bring them into the studio so far) I decided I could just do a little comparison-recording of the preamps that are here in my bedroom right now.

a more detailed test with more preamps, instruments and a better environment will follow, till then you can use this to get a first impression.

this file is just spoken word (sorry for the accent) tracked with sm57 and AKG414XLII as I said the files were recorded in my bedroom and the mics were a bit close to walls (like 40-50cm), so there's some comb-filtering going on, especially with the 414...but anyway, you get the idea.

the preamps are:

RME Quadmic
API 3124+
Safe Sound Audio Model P1

into RME multiface AD-->Cubase 4
no processing at all, jsut matched the levels.

here you go

Ohhh, that's a sexy voice! :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you wait a couple of days with your purchase I'll do a better test with SPL Goldmike and Focusrite Octopre as well.

cause I really wanna compare the API to the rest when it comes to guitarrecordings (where I think it'll be the best one).

Aah that would be great. I'm curious what the Octopre will do since I actually do only read negative stuff about it..and just some positive stuff...
I'll be waiting..

I'm getting a my money this friday for spending on recording stuff so from then on I actually can buy what I want..and I'm just in the market for what would be the best for me..

It's cool people share these things..

What I think is shijt about reviews on especially preamps that most preamp get tested by really experienced engineers/producers..etc.etc.
And they compare a 1000 $ machines to classic API, Neve etc.etc stuff which isn't that fair offcourse...
I just had to say that since I noticed that since I'm looking for reviews on devices I might want to buy...

Yep, there's pretty good stuff in the lower range as well, the Octopre is better than the RME IMO (Depending on what you want), also the SPL Goldmike is really cheap but awesome for vox and everything with condensors.

Nice testing. You kinda sound like a Speak-n-Spell kids toy.

RME make some really solid gear, but the price is just out of the question.

Lol, Speak'n'Spell toy for german-english? ;)perhaps I should do that for a living ;)

the RME Quadmic is about 350€, (for 4 preamps) you'll hardly get anything cheaper with a similar quality I think.

I find the differences in pres to really come out when you start layering them - It'd be easier to hear if you had quadtracked guitars over an entire drumkit and vocals on top, all through different pres or something, than a single guitar track, vocal line, spoken voice line, etc ;).

you're welcome.

Hi, I was doing some google searches and came across this thread. Did you ever do the API guitar recording comparison? I'd love to hear a shootout of mic'd cabs utilizing the API, and really cannot find any comparisons online.

Hi, I was doing some google searches and came across this thread. Did you ever do the API guitar recording comparison? I'd love to hear a shootout of mic'd cabs utilizing the API, and really cannot find any comparisons online.

yeah, guitars and drums were were the API blew the competitors out of the water.

neve came close on guitars..(would like to have a Great River as well..don't have one yet though..Glenn really likes them for guit as well).