RME vs. API preamp

The API probably sounds more present because it's about a dB louder on average (-7.93 and -9.15 dB RMS compared to the RME's -9.14 and -10.17 according to Sonalksis FreeG). Turn it down 1 dB for your comparison and you'll notice the difference is pretty much negligible. You'd get a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more noticeable difference just by moving the mic a quarter inch.

well you should always match the volume for a comparison.
to me the difference is still the same.
but yes, it's not night and day, and of course moving the mic makes a bigger difference (but that's not what a comparison like this is about, cause even after moving the mic, swapping amps etc the difference will still be thereand add up dramatically in a busy mix)

The API sounds tighter to me. The magic always seems to be in how it handles lows and how it can unify the midrange without sounding fizzy. Along with that the API sounds more open without being harsh, and it seems to just lend itself to a perceptibly 'larger' sound. I definitely know what I'd prefer to use on a record.

It's always better to do these tests blind and at equal volumes though. Whether conscious or subconscious, listener bias plays a huge part.

And furthermore, you're not buying the Fireface for it's preamps, you're buying it for it's great converters to make OTHER preamps sound great down the line (hence why the FF400 is better, cuz you're not paying extra for 4 preamps that don't sound all that great :))

And furthermore, you're not buying the Fireface for it's preamps, you're buying it for it's great converters to make OTHER preamps sound great down the line (hence why the FF400 is better, cuz you're not paying extra for 4 preamps that don't sound all that great :))

correct!

and bear in mind, the API was tracked through RME converters as well ;)

I think the rme preamps are usable, like other guys sayd, they are good for the money, the difference is natural.

DAMNATION - links are dead... now i have ff400 and it is sux - i guess....

i just wanted to head difference (((((