API VS Focusrite

I have a question, have you tried comparing the new Saffire series pres to the API? I am really curious as the pres in my Saffire Pro 40 are actually really, really nice...just wondering....

No, but I compared the octopre series I (platinum as well), and those are really nice, I wouldn't feel bad doing an album with them. Much more open than the c24 pres IMO...although they're said to be the same

Actually, the new Saffire series pres are a bit different than the Octopre Mark 1/platinum series. I went through two Platinum TrakMaster Pros that were terrible. Both started developing a lot of noise starting at 6 on the gain. I had a couple of lengthy discussions with Focusrite about it and they told me the Saffire series have new chips that have made a huge difference. They told me they are discontinuing the Platinum series because they couldn't maintain quality control at that price point. This may not be news to many of you, but for those looking for some really good pres for cheap: all the Saffire series, including the Saffire 6 USB which can be had for $189 have the same pres. They are better than the LE series and my experience with my Pro 40 is you can literally turn them up to 10 with no noise. I am sold on the Saffire series and if you are thinking of getting an Octopre MK II w/o dynamics, get a Pro 40 instead. They are the same price but the Pro 40 is also a 20 in, 20 out interface with two monitor channels and extensive monitoring for the same price. Save the $200 more you would pay for the Octorpre MK II w/dynamics and buy a Pro 40 and then spend $99 on the Midnight series compressor/eq. You will be extremely happy! I feel lucky because I found an online store that was selling the Pro 40 for $399 and ZZounds "beat their price" and sold me one for $390! I am one happy camper!