another Mic-Pre shootout. battle of the cheapos

I must need better monitor gear or ears... if you'd told me they were all exactly the same file, I'd believe you. I honestly cannot tell one from another.

1 is the best, second is the RME, third the Octo to put it that way ;) But at the end all-in-all it sounds quite quite fizzy and generally I dislike the sound :) But that's just my poor me.

actually alot of you have been right ;)

first of all....I know it's fizzy and everything, did,'t try to get the best possible sound but just wanted to have all the freqs in there.

so here's the solution with my comments (which are actually quite similar to SW's):

1. API - (as most of you have guessed).....I find this preamp to be way more open, natural and 3-dimensional sounding. it represents all the freqs and still leaves alot of space so guits sit well in the mix.

2. RME - I actually prefer this one for vox over the octo, but don't like it at all for guitars, I find is dull, muffled and flat sounding.

3.Focusrite - this preamp has actually surprised me, for little more than 600€ for 8 pres (I also have the converter-option) these sound really good IMO, not quite as 3-dimensional and open as the API but somewhere between the RME and API...(closer to the RME though ;) ) but IMO this preamp is definitely not as dull and flat sounding as the RME (at least not on drums and guitars).

What you say about the Focusrite, is what led me to assume it`s the first clip. (I thought Api have to sound more vintage).

LSD-Studio;68734533.Focusrite - this preamp has actually surprised me said:
What is the purpose really of the adat option ?
I've looked on their website, but the message is not very clear. There is no adat possibilities/connectors without the option ?

If you would have to track drums with a ff800 et an octopre, where would hook up cymbals mics ?

anyway, it's the 8ch unit I am gonna get.