Saffire Pro, 8pre, Digimax, Mackie Onyx, etc

The Platinum range is subpar compared to the Saffire stuff. No they do not use the same preamps AFAIK. When we used Platinum range units I remember the sound always being hi-fi and almost thin. The Saffire stuff is way more full and natural.

~006

For what it's worth, I've never had any clipping issues with drums on my Mackie 1200f.

I currently have a Senn 421 in my kick drum about 3" from the beater impact zone and no issues with the input gain at around 30%.

When I had mine I was using NT5s for overheads too... Bad combination! :lol:

Yikes! I have been using snare mic into the 8Pre for padding, which pisses me off because the Saffire does sound better. I just can't be arsed to snag some in-line pads when the 8Pre has them on every channel and it's not awful sounding...ugh I want a 1200F!

~006

The Platinum range is subpar compared to the Saffire stuff. No they do not use the same preamps AFAIK. When we used Platinum range units I remember the sound always being hi-fi and almost thin. The Saffire stuff is way more full and natural.

~006

Really? Wow, wish I could do a comparison, thats kinda thrown off my future Platinum purchase :p Maybe the Saffire 40 is a better option that say a Twintrak Pro :err:

We had a TrakMaster, TwinTrak and a VoiceMaster (I think we had two of each unit), and I also use to run an OctoPre with my old 002R. Here's the thing...the Platinum range works. No doubt, it's not crap, but it does have that hi-fi, almost thin sound to it. Regular music fans won't notice, but you will, especially when you get around to using higher grade stuff. You'll be like "whoah", really. Again, they aren't "bad." I was actually hesitant to buy the Saffire Pro because I thought maybe anything but the RED and ISA ranges were going to have that quality to them. The Saffire stuff is better though.

~006

We had a TrakMaster, TwinTrak and a VoiceMaster (I think we had two of each unit), and I also use to run an OctoPre with my old 002R. Here's the thing...the Platinum range works. No doubt, it's not crap, but it does have that hi-fi, almost thin sound to it. Regular music fans won't notice, but you will, especially when you get around to using higher grade stuff. You'll be like "whoah", really. Again, they aren't "bad." I was actually hesitant to buy the Saffire Pro because I thought maybe anything but the RED and ISA ranges were going to have that quality to them. The Saffire stuff is better though.

~006

Oh yes RED and ISA are the clear winners, however you get what you pay for :lol: Glad I got your opinion though, I really don't like anything hi-fi or thin sounding, maybe we should all stick in the Saffire range. Seems like everything that people were missing with the 10 I/O (the one I own) or 26 I/O has been rectified with the new Saffire 40. :)

*Puts anorak on and looks into things a bit futher* :)

I would really recommend to be on the look-out for a 26i/o. A few reasons to discount the 40: The two inputs on the front would seriously annoy the fuck out of me. Plus it looks like they did away with the 2nd ADAT input which was a baaaad move IMO. An interface with good pres and two ADAT inputs (24 total with one unit possible) for the price they were going for...that's what made the 26i/o the obvious choice for me. They did away with the 8 line inputs on the front panel. That shit fucking ROCKS on the 26i/o. The 40 seems like a really dumbed down version, what is it selling for? It just seems really limited compared to the 26i/o, plus it looks kinda gay, haha. Seriously though, unless those points don't bug you, by all means get what you want. :)

~006

LOL I just looked and saw the 40 is like half the price. That would probably explain why it's so much less on the features...:lol:

From what I understood from your post I thought you were saying they were getting rid of the 26i/o and putting the 40 in it's place. My bad. Well...for $499, the 40 looks like a pretty good deal I suppose. I really do hate the 1+2 mic inputs on the front though. That shit drives me up the wall.

~006

Yeah, I think it looks gay as fuck. But that's just my (and yours haha) opinion. It should be function over looks, of course, but god damn... haha.

~006

Yeah true it does look weird however I think API stuff looks similarly weird :p Yeah its like £350 RRP, they say its like "the new deal in firewire interfaces" meh I take it with a pinch of salt. I don't mind the 2 inputs in the front too much, I would mainly use those 2 channels anyway for sansamping/guitar DI'ing/quick ghost guitars and mic ups, just plug in and out I guess. I mean, you could always leave a XLR in one of the outputs on the rear if you didn't want it hanging out over the desk during tracking which is understandable, not like those 2 inputs are all its got.

I have a XLR left in the back of mine now and...well I best get a new lead because its more tangled than you can imagine haha. I was going for the Twin Trak to be fair until I came across this thread, this has the ADAT over my 10 I/O and dosen't break the band. Besides its looks, im thinking it could be a decent deal, I can't record a live drumkit at this moment in time but I guess there is no harm in having TOO many inputs sat there ready for the time they may be needed in future :p

Dude I was inadvertently right! They have discontinued the 26 I/O for the 40!! The 26 I/O was infact CHEAPER than the 40 in the UK at least (Just over £300). Thats pretty shocking considering the 26 had more out options.

And just looked, the price of the 40 has gone up slightly now close to £400.

I know I just sat here and talked up the 26i/o like crazy. But I JUST (like 5 mins ago) had to turn down another project due to not being PT compatible. That makes 5 projects in two months that would have been $$$. So....I will make another thread, but I'll say it in here since people are viewing it....I'm going to sell my 26i/o and use that to fund a ProFire 2626. I'm fairly certain I still have the original box and everything for it. It's in perfect condition, went straight from the box to the rack, hasn't been moved since. Nothing wrong with it. I just need something that I can run with PT M-Powered so I can stop turning shit down. I was going to ask $600 but fucking left and right on eBay they are going for under $500, wtf...oh, they are b-stock or opened. I see...$600 it is then.

~006

Unless it's a project that the band wants tracked in PT so it can be sent somewhere else, but otherwise yeah, I'm with you Kurtz

I wanna go for the profire 2626 too. I chose it because it's a better interface than the 002/003 and has more adat channels. The negative thing is that there is no PT in bundle and you have to buy separatelly (plus the PT8 update)

I could easily be wrong, but don't you get a free upgrade to PT 8 if you buy and register 7.4 now?

I was going to go the Profire 2626 route, but since I have no immediate need to run ProTools, I figured I should get the Saffire Pro 26 while it's $450!