mackie 1620 onyx

Dollarosa

Jan 17, 2009
Hey guys

Having abit of trouble with adding more preamps to the 1620. I was thinking about buying the 1640i, but feel that I should just get more preamps added to my setup at the moment. So I am looking at about 6 - 8 extra preamps in the price range of $400 - $600. I don't know how to add them to the desk (except for using the line outs of the preamps and placing them in the line ins of the desk) as there is no adat.

Would also like peoples opinions.
Should I get more preamps
Get two onyx blackbirds instead
Get a mackie 1640i instead
or a whole new interface

If I was going to buy a new interface I would like to stay within say $2000, and two have at least 10 preamps (standard of the mackie onxy, which I have to say sound dpretty good)

I am pc based if that helps

Thanks

if you're happy with the pres in the 1620, i would go for the 1640i

i have one of the original 1640's and have been completely satisfied with it...at the time i bought it, it was definitely at the top of the heap in the price v. performance ratio

only qualms i had was no multichannel D/A, and no EQ on the firewire send, both of which have been addressed with i series...

only qualms i had was no multichannel D/A, and no EQ on the firewire send, both of which have been addressed with i series...

I had mine moded so the eq can be switched in and out on the f/w. I'm thinking of getting rid of it. It's a great machine but I only really use is at an interface when rehearsing, and as a sound card. Bit of a waste really. When I record I use a different interface then everything is ITB.