I need a consensus on an interface purchase...

OK...

I don't do much reamping these days, though it would be nice to know how with this box. I do already have a nice DI. I have an external set of preamps that I'd like to plug into the ADAT/lightpipe as I primarily use those anyway...

The thing about buying a non digi interface that bugs me is the possible complications with the software mixer associated with the interface (which is what I assume accounts for the majority of the user-error with these)...

I will rarely be doing anything with this interface outside of Pro Tools (though I might give Sonar a try).

I've watched my roommate mess with the software mixer on his presonus interfaces for hours on end trying to troubleshoot problems with it and I can say that I'm not looking forward to that.

By the way, one fact and one question:
- I too use Pro 40 with PT9 and it works flawlessly, they understand each other very well.
- and may I ask (if it's not rude) why do you need 8 mic preamps if you're going for your "own stuff/bedroom" recording? If you're not going to record drums you might as well go for Pro24, it has all the same features except additional 6 preamps...

By the way, one fact and one question:
- I too use Pro 40 with PT9 and it works flawlessly, they understand each other very well.

Awesome. Thats what I wanted to hear.

- and may I ask (if it's not rude) why do you need 8 mic preamps if you're going for your "own stuff/bedroom" recording? If you're not going to record drums you might as well go for Pro24, it has all the same features except additional 6 preamps...

BECAUSE I CAN!

Actually, I may go back to recording bands, I may not... I have just been mixing this last year and not tracking. Also, I already have the additional preamps, so thats why.

EDIT: Also, after more careful research, I think I'm going to go with the Pro40.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input.