Need opinions for new interface...(mackie 1200F quit working)

turbidnorth

New Metal Member
Mar 17, 2008
www.myspace.com
The other day the Firewire on my Mackie Onyx 1200f quit working, everything else works fine on it, but i cant get it to work with a computer. Mackie cant fix it and ive read that the cost alone to repair it is worth getting a whole new interface.

So now i basically have an 8 channel onyx preamp which i can still use with another interface via ADAT. Any suggestions on what kind of interface to buy? Stick with Firewire or go with something else? I have around a $650 budget for this. I almost bought the new Mackie Blackbird (they have a $100 rebate going on until september) but i'm not sure i wanna stick with Mackie anymore...

Considering your budget, you have the choice of a purely ADAT interface (Presonus Firestudio Lightpipe or M-Audio Profire Lightbridge, altought I heard some bad things on both...) or simply go for a "full fledged" interface like M-Audio Profire 2626, who will give you 8 more preamps (pretty much decent)...

As usual, I'm going to chime in and suggest a Saffire Pro 40. I'm absolutely in love with mine.

+1, I own one as well and prefer it over the 2626, though you can't use as many ADAT inputs if you're running at 88.2/96kHz. But, you can get them for like $350 on eBay B-Stock with a full warranty, as apposed to $700 for the Profire.

With the money you saved, you could buy some mics, treatment for your room, upgrade monitors, whatever.