Help choosing the right audio interface?!

Sammul

New Metal Member
May 20, 2012
Coventry, UK
Hello,

Im looking to get a new firewire audio interface, preferably rack mounted, for around £300. However im willing to pay a bit more.

I want something that has multiple inputs and outputs (preferably 8) so i can record a few separate channels at the same time with super low latency. Im not too fussed about any built in effects or anything and im planning on running a mixer through it.

Iv been looking at a variety (presonus firestudio, focusrite saffire pro 40, mackie onyx blackbird) but just cant make my mind up.

I use a synergy music pc with 64 bit windows 7, Cubase 5 and a Mackie 1502 vlz pro desk. Im hoping to set up some rack reverbs and compressors etc soon.

Im just after some opinions/suggestions or a point in the right direction.

Cheers!
:headbang:

You could grab a used Profire 2626 for about $200 USD. That's insane compared to the $500 I paid for mine, used, as well as the $700(?) pricetag on a new one.

+1 for the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. I've been running through one for a while now and it's been extremely solid. I was looking at all the ones you listed and settled on this one. It really comes down to options and the saffire had everything I wanted, plus the 2 ins and headphone outs on the front makes the accessibility nice on a rackmount.

Cheers for the replies.
Yeah i have been looking at the M-Audio Profire 2626, it does seem to tick all the boxes. A friend of mine has the Profire 610 though and says he gets occasional crackles when recording sometimes.
I think i am going to go for either the Saffire pro 40 or the Profire 2626 just need to do a direct comparison and decide which would suit me better. The two ins on the saffire pro are a big plus.

For driver stability the general consensus seems to be that you should go Profire for Mac and Saffire for PC.
Blackbird looks good though I don't know too much about how the drivers play with that.

Okay that's noted about Saffire for PC.
I have took a strong swaying towards the Blackbird over the last few days though, im going to head to digital village today to check it out and maybe purchase it.
My only concern is the outputs.. Does anyone know if i would be able to use rack effects with one using the alt outputs or something?