Mackie Onyx 1200f V.S Mackie Onyx 1620

Im using an onyx 1640 and I love it. It did have some driver issues at first but I sorted through it. Also I had to end the process that displays the battery life (Im on a laptop) because it was causing some crazy dpc latency spikes.

After I got it working properly I've not had any probs. Just gotta make sure it is turned on before opening the daw.

For the record, the 1200F was like $1599 new. For that price you could get:

M-Audio Profire 2626 ($699)
Presonus DigiMAX D8 ($399)
SM Pro Audio HP6 ($119)

Total: $1217

So $400 less and you get 16 mic pres, 8 headphone outputs, and products that are not discontinued and are made by companies that can actually repair the products if they break.

lol bitter is ok :)
( i dont know who your talking about, though )

but adam is totally fucking right.
im probably going to just go with a Profire 26/26
and maybe one of the digimax unit

or something by focusrite :O

thanks for the help guys!

Wow someone is bitter.

Yeah I was not impressed when I dropped $2500 on a Macbook Pro to find out my $1800 interface was incompatible despite the fact that Mackie says it works with OS X 10.3.9 and up on their website, but over the phone "Oh no it only works with 10.3.9 and 10.4".

Should never have bought it in the first place but like the OP, it seemed like such a sick unit and it was great with my PC despite some weird intermittent issues.

and for that extra 400 bucks you save you can get a presonus central station so you can get your talk back feature you were asking about in the start of your tread

...or you can get a 1640, and have 16 channels of pres with all the talkback and monitoring controls in the same unit

...or you can get a 1640, and have 16 channels of pres with all the talkback and monitoring controls in the same unit

And only 2 channels of return digital output from your interface so you have to disconnect your monitors to reamp and can only send one submix from within your DAW for headphone monitoring.

Unless you mean the new 1640i which has all 16 channels available return from the Firewire connection. But that is brand new and probably won't actually hit the shelves for 2 years, just like the 1200F, and then they will discontinue it 6 months later after no one can get it to work properly.

lol or you can just use another little small interface like one of those smaller profires or something cheap with one input and just route it to the musicians headphones and he can talk back with the mics that are on his drums, acoustic, ect ?

and when i mean route it i mean route it digitally, like in cubase, have the input on the cheap interface on one channel ( empty ) just to hear him when you have the monitor icon on in cubase

Yeah I was not impressed when I dropped $2500 on a Macbook Pro to find out my $1800 interface was incompatible despite the fact that Mackie says it works with OS X 10.3.9 and up on their website, but over the phone "Oh no it only works with 10.3.9 and 10.4".

Should never have bought it in the first place but like the OP, it seemed like such a sick unit and it was great with my PC despite some weird intermittent issues.

No doubt. Don't mistake my comment, I would be pissed too.

I have a 1200f as well, but I'm on Windows and haven't tried it on an Apple machine. And I too am irked it was dropped so soon.

On the other side of the coin, I've had zero problems with mine, and it sounds fantastic.

Even if the product is discontinued as long as you got the proper warranty ....They have to work on

They haven't made any new ones in like 8 months AT LEAST, so almost any warranty on any of them is just about up by now. Anyone who has needed warranty work on it so far has just been given a refund from Mackie because they can't get any of the parts to fix them.

And only 2 channels of return digital output from your interface so you have to disconnect your monitors to reamp and can only send one submix from within your DAW for headphone monitoring.

there's no need to disconnect anything to reamp...hook up your monitors through the control room outputs, and reamp through the TRS mono main output - the one with the trim control on it

there's no need to disconnect anything to reamp...hook up your monitors through the control room outputs, and reamp through the TRS mono main output - the one with the trim control on it

The 1640 only allows two channels of audio returning via Firewire man. If you have your L and R master signal going to the mixer from your computer, you can't even SEND the DI signal to reamp, the firewire connection doesn't allow 3 channels of audio to go from the DAW back to the mixer. It's 16 in/2 out.

Onyx 1200F is discontinued, doesn't work properly on any Mac and lots of people have reported tons of issues. I would stay away from Mackie completely. But if you are going to buy anything from them, I would try the new 1640i, but wait until you know it is reliable.

Loud Technologies sucks horrid as a company. Ever since it changed from St. Louis Music Co. The whole deal has turned into a soggy turd.