looking for audio interfaces and preamps

Yeah, I tend to think so; from what I've heard, the FF pre's are good but nothing special, but the fact that the Onyx 400F can only have a maximum of 10 inputs is the deal breaker for me (I'll just use the FF400 preamps until I can afford a really good one, like a Great River). However, I still maintain hope that Mackie will change their ways - check out this email I just sent them :lol::

"Hello! I'm very interested in the Onyx 400F firewire interface, mainly because of the great reputation of the Onyx preamps but also for the converter quality and extra features such as two headphone outs and two hi-Z instrument inputs. However, it breaks my heart to see that there is no ADAT I/O (or even just an ADAT in), because I really don't want to limit myself to just 10 inputs. That being said, however, the 1200F is just too expensive for me, so I would like to suggest (or beg of you, really) to consider adding ADAT functionality to the 400F, cuz I would buy it in a hot second if you did. I highly doubt it would sway any potential buyers away from the 1200F (if that's what they were originally after), because the latter still has 12 preamps (and more importantly, 12 analog ins in general), 4 headphone outs, etc., and MOTU has both their 828 and 896 ADAT equipped, for example, without a problem of competition between the two.

I won't be in the market for a new interface until this coming summer, so I can wait, but I just thought I'd make my plea heard with ample time in the hope that you could complete the promise of the 400F being the greatest 1 RU interface in terms of overall value in existence!"

Good call, the 400F would be a very serious contender in the price range if it had ADAT... It would actually be quite comparable to the RME Fireface 800... It does suck that with the Mackie stuff you pretty have to go all or nothing with either the 1200F or the 400F. I probably would've gotten the 400F if it had ADAT, but I'm glad I was patient and managed to find a 1200F, but I can definitely see it being a pain in the ass if you are strapped for cash, the 1200F is VERY pricey compared to all of the other similar Firewire interfaces out there...

Well shit, not im confused again....i was gonna get the RME FF400, but now im looking at the mackie 400F cause of the onyx pres......SO, the onxy pres would give me better sound quality then the RME FF400 for recording my mic'ed guitar cab?

If you have no intention of ever using more than 10 inputs at a time, the Onyx 400F would be a great choice. The Fireface 400 allows up to 18 inputs though which is the only real advantage over the Onyx 400F. The price difference isn't that much but the Onyx pre's are a bit better than the RME ones... I would probably go with the Onyx 400F if you just want to record guitar. If I was interested in the Fireface 400 for the extra inputs I would probably just go all out and get the Fireface 800 anyways.

Like I said, it comes down to whether or not you need more than 10 inputs, like if you ever intend to record a moderately large drumset for example. If not, you're probably better off saving the $120 and getting the Onyx since it has better preamps anyways.

What would have better preamps between the Mackie onyx 400F and the M-Audio Profire 2626 ?

Also the preamps are what is gonna make the quality of the recording better am i correct?

The Onyx preamps will be better than the Profire ones most likely, but to be honest man, it's not really going to be a night and day difference. They are both going to sound more than usable, with the Onyx preamps maybe sounding a little "better" to the trained ear. The Onyx is higher quality overall vs. the M-Audio stuff, they seem to use better converters which will also impact your sound, but in this price range, everything is still going to sound pretty similar.

If you are trying to decide between the Onyx 400F and the Profire, I would definitely choose the Profire because you will get more use out of it over the years. It has twice as many preamps and 16 channels of ADAT, which means if you wanted to, later down the road you could add a Mackie Onyx 800R ADAT mic preamp and have 8 Onyx mic preamps with the Mackie converters IN ADDITION to what's in the Profire, plus you could still add another 8 channels of ADAT and 2 channels of S/PDIF for a total of 26 audio inputs vs. 10 inputs on the Onyx 400F.

Well, in order from most to least important, quality of the original sound (in this case, guitar/amp/cab/speakers), mic choice/position, preamp, and converters are what's gonna affect the quality of the recording. And I would definitely say that the Onyx would have better pres than the Profire 2626.

Whoops, F0RBIDDEN beat me to it, and +1 to everything he said (cuz in my above hierarchy, the first two are WAY more important than the last two)

If you are trying to decide between the Onyx 400F and the Profire, I would definitely choose the Profire because you will get more use out of it over the years. It has twice as many preamps and 16 channels of ADAT, which means if you wanted to, later down the road you could add a Mackie Onyx 800R ADAT mic preamp and have 8 Onyx mic preamps with the Mackie converters IN ADDITION to what's in the Profire, plus you could still add another 8 channels of ADAT and 2 channels of S/PDIF for a total of 26 audio inputs vs. 10 inputs on the Onyx 400F.

Ok this is my deal right now, i have a presonus firebox, and i get pretty descent sounds out of it, but i want to get somthing better to give me a better recording sound/tone.

Do you think upgrading to either the Onyx or the profire will give me a better tone? Or am i wrong?

Sorry for all the questions but i wanna make sure i get the most for the money!

I don't think you'll notice much of a difference in the quality of your sound by upgrading to the Mackie or M-Audio units vs. what you have now. The preamps and converters are going to be of pretty similar quality to what you're using, the most significant "upgrade" in those units is merely from a features stand point, not really a quality stand point.

What else is in your signal right now? What amps, cabs, speakers, mics, etc. are you using? Like Metaltastic said, you'll notice a much more significant difference by experimenting with your amp settings, mic choice and mic placement than you will by switching to a different prosumer level audio interface. Maybe if you upgraded to like a Great River preamp or something you would notice a significant difference, but the Presonus, Mackie and M-Audio stuff are MORE than capable of capturing high quality guitar tones if you spend enough time experimenting with the more significant aspects of your sound. Good luck bro!

What else is in your signal right now? What amps, cabs, speakers, mics your sound. Good luck bro!

Right now i have a 5150 EVH , an ENGL powerball going into a mashall 1960BV (V-30s) the mics i use are SM57, E609, and AT2020. (ill use 2 of these to dual mic) Into the presonus firebox, into cubase LE

So upgrading to one of the XMAX line from presonus like fire studio or whatever wont make a difference either? The presonus firebox doesnt have the XMAX pres..... Basically the only thing i record is my guitar cab....and i dont need all the extra features that these interfaces i talked about have (would be nice to have though) But if im gonna get the same recordings by spending $800 on another interface....its not worth it obviously.

So what would i need to get to hook up a great river preamp? does it have an ADAT I/O ? would i just need a firewire interface with that capability or somthing else?

Thanks again man!

Most preamps don't have AD (Analog-to-Digital) converters in them, thus they wouldn't have an ADAT out, so you'd plug the line out of the Great River (or one of tons of other killer preamps) into the line in on your firebox. Nice amp/cab selection by the way, dude! (though I wouldn't recommend the AT2020 on a cab, but hey, the ears are the final judge)

:heh: It's a doozy, though like all things, I'm sure there's a middle ground (though I honestly don't know what it is, so I'd be curious about anyone's recommendations for a good one- or two-channel preamp for under, say, $800)

Most preamps don't have AD (Analog-to-Digital) converters in them, thus they wouldn't have an ADAT out, so you'd plug the line out of the Great River (or one of tons of other killer preamps) into the line in on your firebox. Nice amp/cab selection by the way, dude! (though I wouldn't recommend the AT2020 on a cab, but hey, the ears are the final judge)

I use the At2020 with the either the SM57 or the e609....i like the results.

What other preamps are killer besides the great river? Can you list some for me? maybe alittle less expensive ones too :)

BTW by the line in you mean the 1/4 jacks on the back right? then it doesnt go through the firebox pres.

Nah man you're gear is fine. With enough experimenting with placement and amp settings, you should be able to get a pretty ferocious tone with just the SM57. If the preamps are actually that bad on the Firebox then maybe it is worth looking at the Onyx 400F. If you are 100% positive that you will never use more than 10 inputs at a time I would go for it, but if you plan on expanding upwards of that then you are probably better off investing in either the Profire 2626, Fireface 400, or saving up a bit more and getting an Onyx 1200F. The Fireface 800 is worth looking at too if you're in the Onyx 1200F price range, but I think the Onyx is worth the extra $100 to get the 8 additional preamps that are all nicer than the Fireface pre's, along with the extra headphone outs, AES input, built in talkback, etc. that the Onyx offers, especially considering the Onyx is also using high quality AKM converters, although I'm sure the Fireface conversion is still a bit nicer since that seems to be it's biggest selling point.

I dunno, at $300 for 2 preamps I'm guessing they should be pretty decent, the Firestudio is $700 for 8 preamps plus a ton of other features so unless the markup is huge on the Firebox compared to the Firestudio, I can't see the preamps being total garbage. I would think that you should be able to get some really good sounds with what you have with enough practice and patience, there's a damn fine art to micing a guitar cabinet and I sure as hell suck at it and haven't gotten any sounds I've really liked yet. I haven't tried micing a cab with my 1200F since I just got it, but the results I got with my Saffire Pro 26i/o were definitely not fantastic and I definitely don't blame the gear :lol: