USB interfaces

I have a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6, & it seems to be pretty decent, not sure if it has enough inputs for your use though. Again, it seems to be a decent interface, & I've not had any problems with it at all (unlike my old Tascam US 122-L which stopped working with W7 due to it being discontinued & no drivers for W7. I actually used it with the 144MKII W7 drivers for a while, but it finally just stopped working)....

Komplete Audio 6

It came with Tracktor LE & Cubase 5 LE (which I never installed either), has phantom power, & the pre's seem decent (they're fine for me, but I only do this in my spare time as a hobby.....)

The US-1800 might seem like overkill now... but if you ever get into a spot where you need to record a full kit, or a band live for a rough demo, you won't regret it.

I have the discontinued US-1641 and it's been great for me. The preamps are slightly nosier than my old Firepod (which I ditched when I had to get a new lappy without USB) but aside from that, I've had no issues. I wish I could pick latency directly instead of the 5 choices the software gives (highest to lowest) but that's about the only complaint I have.

So, just wanted to bump. I bought a PreSonus AudioBox 22VSL. Great box. Good pres, great layout, easy to use, works in XP, has great DI sound, and I have had zero latency issues with tracking and monitoring with ampsims. I would highly recommend this box.

Got a Scarlett and it was bad news. Returned it. The Saffire 6 USB we recorded our album on sounded great though.
Anyway, I'll hijack this thread to ask, what is the best USB interface under $300 nowadays?

Strange, don't the Scarlett and Saffire have the same pre amps?

I just got the scarlett 2i2 and it sounds great. I have two other more expensive interfaces.
Preamps in the scarlett have lots of clean gain. Hi-z inputs have a +10dB boost which is unfortunate, my passive pickup telecaster can clip it on harder hits. Probably a huge issue with actives.

Full review here: http://audiogeekzine.com/2012/03/review-focusrite-scarlett-2i2-usb2-audio-interface/

This is is why I didn't buy that box. I was gonna buy a country man, but why spent the money if I i didn't need too. The 22vsl takes great Di and no issues with clipping with actives. One of the best $170 I ever spent.

I'm also in the market for some simple USB interface. I used to have a Presonus Audiobox USB but the instrument input was clipping. It seems like the VSL interfaces have a different preamp though, right?

And, how would a 44VSL compare with a MOTU Ultralite MkIII Hybrid? I checked the MOTU site for specs on their preamps but I couldn't find anything. Does anyone have any experience with these? I like the I/O configuration (some digital I/O would be nice though) but of course performance is key.

I, as well as other people I know, have had malfunctioning issues with MOTU. Firewire will eventually be obsolete. There a dozens of good interfaces. However, I put my money on PreSonus.

It's USB as well though. But anyway, since I don't see much talk about MOTU these days I guess they're not popular for a reason. I'll check out the Presonus a bit more, cheers.

Maybe someone here can help me out....

I'm considering selling my Profire 2626 and getting a USB interface as my new laptop has no firewire and also since firewire is basically going away.

What would be an equivalent to the Profire? I paid $500 for it, would probably just ask for $500, so, that'd be my price limit.

The M-Audio Ultra 8R looks decent. Same preamps as the Profire.....But I noticed more noise with USB interfaces compared to Firewire.

EDIT: Is there a way to link, for example, the Profire and Ultra 8R to have 16 mic inputs?

Firewire is not going away for a long time still (3-5 yrs is a long time for computers.) USB2 is a step backwards for studio gear.

Profire is a better interface, the 8R is only 8i/o vs 26. The 8R doesn't have adat in or out. The only comparable interface to Profire 2626 is the Focusrite saffire pro 40 or Presonus Firestudio 2626, all firewire.

You could go with MOTU but I don't think there are any with 8 preamps and definitely not in your budget.