Saffire Pro 40 thunderbolt compatibility

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
I got a new computer which doesn't have firewire nor is it compatible with the TI chipset needed for audio devices so I can't even buy an add on card. It is thunderbolt ready which means I can add a thunderbolt card to it. The Saffire works with thunderbolt via the firewire to thunderbolt adapter. Focusrite says they are currently testing the compatibility with the new thunderbolt chipset(falcon ridge or thunderbolt II). Right now only cactus or redwood ridge of supported. I was wondering if anyone here has had luck with getting the Saffire pro 40 to work on the newer thunderbolt chipset (falcon ridge or thunderbolt II which is what they changed the name to). If I can't get it to work this way then I am screwed and just got a new computer that can't even support my audio interface (or any firewire audio interface). I would be forced to get a USB audio interface since thunderbolt ones are too expensive.
On the topic of USB interfaces, do they make any USB 3.0 audio interfaces? Are USB 2.0 interfaces any good for running a high number of simultaneous inputs (like drums)? Why the hell is the audio world so far behind all the time. It is annoying.

The TI chipset would be on a Firewire card itself; how is your computer not compatible with that? Can it accept external PCI cards?

If not, use the thunderbolt->Firewire adapter - I'm willing to bet it'll work just fine.

I dont know why but Focusrite told me there is a compatibility issue with the TI chipset and my motherboard. They said it happened to someone else witht he same motherboard. The computer reads the card. It says "this device is working properly" and shows up in devices. They said I can try a VIA card and that might work but I think there is a greater chance of getting it to work via thunderbolt. The motherboard is thunderbolt ready so all I need to do is just get the thunderbolt add on card. I'm just hoping the saffire works with thunderbolt 2(falcon ridge). They said they are currently testing it to see if it works. Right now only cactus ridge and redwood ridge are known thunderbolt chipsets that are compatible. I guess the only way to find out is to just buy the damn card and adapter and see if it works. Focusrite's tech support sucks and they haven't even answered my question about whether or not they think it'll work with thunderbolt 2. It's been several days since I've asked.

well I went ahead and bought the thunderbolt 2 card with the firewire to thunderbolt adapter. I'll let you know how it goes. I sure hope it works or I'm fucked!