USB vs FireWire interfaces??

Yes. But you wont hear the difference unless you get a better brain as well.

Also, latency only matters when you wanna hear what you're playing through your monitors, for example with amp sims. If you're micing it doesn't matter at all.

As I said above :
I want to use my 6505 trough an impulse response :)

In your case, if I only needed one or two simultaneous inputs, I'd get smaller interface that is newer and better quality for the same price. That said, of the ones you listed I'd go with the Pro 40 over the others, definitely over the Tascam.

I didn't list any interfaces. This isn't my thread, I just bumped an old one since I didn't want to start a new thread on the same matter.

I'll try to sum this up again :
Firewire allows lower buffer sizes which would be important when tracking a whole drum kit for example.
In my case, firewire would give me a lower latency too but that's not enough to justify buying a (most times) more expensive interface which would (most times) have a lot more in and outputs than I'd need.
If I'd have two interfaces to choose from (one firewire and one usb 2.0), who both are in my price range and both fit my needs (in an outputs etc.), then I shoud choose the firewire one.

There's also a couple "other" key disadvantages for Firewire that you might've not thought about.

-You can't use your computers Wifi and a firewire interface at the same time. (You'll have to be wired, or have wifi disable when in use) Same goes for IR devices.
-It's usually recommended that if you do get a FireWire interface, that your firewire card has a Texas Instrument(TI) chip on it for solid performance.

I'd say if your computer has a pretty fast CPU you'll be able to reach some pretty low unnoticeable latency with a USB interface no problem. Yes, Firewire WILL be faster and less strain on the cpu, but there are a few factors in play for a guaranteed smooth performance without dropouts.

-You can't use your computers Wifi and a firewire interface at the same time. (You'll have to be wired, or have wifi disable when in use) Same goes for IR devices.

I have 3 MBPs and an iMac that can prove this statement wrong.

If I'd have two interfaces to choose from (one firewire and one usb 2.0), who both are in my price range and both fit my needs (in an outputs etc.), then I shoud choose the firewire one.

I'd choose the one that sounds better...

I have 3 MBPs and an iMac that can prove this statement wrong.

I'd choose the one that sounds better...

+1.

To the OP: Unless you don't expect to record 12 + channels of drums or anything simultaneously you'd get usb2/3. There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with getting a firewire interface. You're keeping yourself insured for the future. Also, firewire 400/800 pci-e cards are gonna be around for a very long time. You might stop seeing built-in firewire ports soon, and that's about it.

There's also a couple "other" key disadvantages for Firewire that you might've not thought about.

-It's usually recommended that if you do get a FireWire interface, that your firewire card has a Texas Instrument(TI) chip on it for solid performance.

Firewire is such an erratic and shit medium - it depends on the device itself, the card and pretty much the will of god to work on a certain day. Some computers can use wifi and firewire simultaneously - I have an old HP NW8440 and its not a problem with this because it has a TI set - but I've seen many struggle with that simple task.

Basically at the moment we're stuck at a point in time between using an outdated methodology (Firewire) and hardware that hasn't fully caught up with the times yet - no ones really rolled out either Thunderbolt or USB3 interfacing yet and the generation 2 USB stuff generally lacks capacity for adat expandability etc and the only people I've seen really adopt it in 8 channels is Tascam.

I for one hope they roll out USB3 devices soon because without it you're caught between juggling the legacy Firewire and over simplified USB acts and it's hilariously difficult to try and find an up to date computer configuration that will operate the Firewire stuff without throwing a hissy fit unless you're running a desktop and can be arsed throwing PCI cards around the place.

Thanks for all you guy's help :)
I won't judge the interface by the connection then..
I think I'll get a Mackie Onyx Blackjack, it has everything I need :D

Edit :
Firewire is such an erratic and shit medium - it depends on the device itself, the card and pretty much the will of god to work on a certain day. Some computers can use wifi and firewire simultaneously - I have an old HP NW8440 and its not a problem with this because it has a TI set - but I've seen many struggle with that simple task.

Well, then it's definitely USB. I don't want to spend hours on fixing bugs to make that shit work.

Yeah if you have a Mac you should be fine (Apple developed the format in conjunction with Texas instruments and so everything Mac with a firewire port works) but if you have a windows based PC that isn't a desktop then 99/100 times it won't work unless you make sure its absolutely tried and tested.

I wouldn't be too concerned about speed, there's not much difference between firewire and USB, however, reliability is important and firewire is more stable than USB. In regards to sound quality, there won't be much difference between those three interfaces you mentioned as they are all consumer level interfaces. With your budget I'd go for reliability and stability because unless you spend more money and get something like an RME or UAD interface, you're not going to hear the difference.

Yeah I should've mentioned I was talking about my experiences with FW on a pc system. That's nice you mac users don't have that WiFi problem and that there are a select few PCs that actually work with it. (maybe its a wireless card pci problem?) Guess I just happen to have terrible luck dealing with it.