Octopre or Profire 2626?

Let it burn...

Orgasm Donor
Oct 22, 2007
Belgium
Here's my situation:

I'm currently using my old Saffire Pro 26 and I'm really in the need for some extra pres because the 8 onboard ones aren't cutting it for drum tracking.

I'm torn between the following 2 options: Get the Octopre and connect it to my Saffire, thereby getting 16 channels of Focusrite Green pres (which I love btw) or use my old Saffire in "Standalone Mode" and link it via ADAT to the Profire 2626, thereby getting 8 Focusrite pres and 8 Profire pres

-Plusses on the Octopre: I love the Green preamps that are in there. Great value for the money.
-Minusses on the Octopre: Green pres have insane low headroom (don't know if this is fixed in the MKII with the pad switch) which got me into trouble before with snaredrums and toms.
Not "bypassable" like the Profire but hey, it's a dedicated 8 channel preamp strip so that makes sense.

-Plusses on the Profire 2626: Bypassable preamps, thus making it a cheap AD/DA when I want to hook up an outboard pre in the future.
-Minusses on the Profire: Don't know about the quality of the preamps. Any comparison clips maybe?

Another option is getting an Audient Mico which is a 2 channel S/PDIF interface but it's in the same price range as the other options. Is it really worth it?

My original plan was to buy a Fireface 800 and use external pres but I don't have the money for that atm (recently got fired) so I'm looking at cheaper alternatives.

Any advice?

I actually picked up a used Saffire Pro26 as an ADAT pre, works out insanely well with my FF800. Good pres and solid conversion, and it lets me leave an interface with the other guitarist in my band to use while I'm not tracking drums.

I did a comparison between profire and octopre le some years ago and they sounded pretty much the same in my opinion.
I always track drums with the octopre and I don't have problems with headroom.

I love my ocotopre.
Sounds amazing, and despite the lowish headroom - I just make it work for me 'cause of the sound.

Not got experience of the profire but no doubt it'll be good.