Aussie band

Sphinx

Plays Guitar
Apr 1, 2005
sydney australia
hey fellow opeth fans,
jus posting asking if anyone from sydney, australia wants to start a metal band, i play guitar, i consider myself alright.. my influences are bodom, arch enemy, opeth and sinergy.... yea im lookin for a band to do maby some demos etc.. thanks guys.
send us an email to ben.varley@gmail.com

Psycroptipath said:
I'm down south: kingston - 15 mins outa hobart. is ur g/f into metal and does she play ne instruments? or do u mean we could jam when u come visit her or somethin
i guess next time i might be able to visit.. that might not be for a few months..nah mh gf hates metal :p she hates the vox mostly.
email me..

Sphinx said:
arch enemy is the best.... melodic death rocks
I know this is a long shot, but were you by any chance ever in a band with a girl named Helena (?) on bass. This girl is from Sydney and said that she knew a bunch of guys who listened to bands similar to what you listen to.

Moonlapse said:
Melodic death does indeed rock, but Arch Enemy suck the wang. In my opinion that genre died with In Flames. RIP.
inflames ruined it.. inflames only has a few decent songs..
but arch enemy, they acctually are good.. their solos, everything.. bloody good band

ænimated said:
I know this is a long shot, but were you by any chance ever in a band with a girl named Helena (?) on bass. This girl is from Sydney and said that she knew a bunch of guys who listened to bands similar to what you listen to.
nah thats not me.. how ever i am lookin for a bass player.. so forward her on to me.. or something.. cheers

ænimated said:

Do you think if I cut of her arms and I cut off her legs she would still love me anyway?

Sphinx said:
but arch enemy, they acctually are good.. their solos, everything.. bloody good band

I don't understand. Arch Enemy are the ideal generic melodic death act. Their riffs sound forced, incohesive and the solos are just random wah wankfests. It's like when they write they set out a plan of how it has to sound, then force the songs into it, coming up with intensely monotonous music, that's harmonized for the sake of it, not for the sake of actually sounding good.

In Flames on the other hand injected melodic overtones to everything. It sounded like there was actual thought put into how the riffs would make the listener 'feel', not simply put leads there for obligatory reasons. The way the songs on the decent albums were structured, there were actual movements to lead the listener to feel 'uplifted'. Just the quality of their lead work alone, in my opinion, remains unsurpassed.

I still feel like the first 2 riffs in Dead Eternity are better than everything Arch Enemy has ever recorded.

Sphinx said:

I think you have it backwards dude. Get yourself a copy of the Jester Race, it blows away anything the Amott bros. have ever done.