Auto pitch detection & correction

GeertSamuel

Jan 29, 2006
Nieuw-Buinen, The Netherlands
I had some live recordings yesterday of a concert.
The girl who was singing was most of the time actually good on pitch but on several occasions she gets a bit of the proper pitch. Offcourse I want to correct them, but I'm looking for in-expensive (maybe even free) plugin that has that option!

Would be great to find something..

Thanks

If it's really infrequent you might just correct the offending notes with a generic sort of pitch shifting plugin rather than a autotune type program.

there is Gsnap, just process the notes that are suspect. Its free. Alternately if you know what the correct pitch should be you can shift it with offline processing which most DAWs have. Just leave yourself room on either side of the word for cross fading into the rest of the take.

with Melodyne and AutoTune you get into the whole grid view thing, where you start to process everything that isn't exactly on the grid lines, whether it sounds good or not originally. It takes a lot of self control not to do that. It does a lot more harm than good.
Just some thoughts.

I can imagine, since it's live, there'll be some bleed of other instruments in there... and when you start pitch correcting the vocals with those other instruments in there... things are gonna start getting funky...

I can imagine, since it's live, there'll be some bleed of other instruments in there... and when you start pitch correcting the vocals with those other instruments in there... things are gonna start getting funky...

Yep, a lot of times I've had just let shit go with live stuff for this same reason.

there is Gsnap, just process the notes that are suspect. Its free. Alternately if you know what the correct pitch should be you can shift it with offline processing which most DAWs have. Just leave yourself room on either side of the word for cross fading into the rest of the take.

with Melodyne and AutoTune you get into the whole grid view thing, where you start to process everything that isn't exactly on the grid lines, whether it sounds good or not originally. It takes a lot of self control not to do that. It does a lot more harm than good.
Just some thoughts.

What? Melodyne and Auto-Tune do a lot more harm than good? That's about the craziest fucking thing I've ever heard. Either you don't record a lot of bands or you happen to record perfect singers everytime. No way I could work without Melodyne though. And befrore Melodyne there was no way I could work without Auto-Tune. Both of them are pretty much essential if you want to put out a product that represents your client in the best way possible everytime and be competitive on the radio nowadays.

What? Melodyne and Auto-Tune do a lot more harm than good? That's about the craziest fucking thing I've ever heard. Either you don't record a lot of bands or you happen to record perfect singers everytime. No way I could work without Melodyne though. And befrore Melodyne there was no way I could work without Auto-Tune. Both of them are pretty much essential if you want to put out a product that represents your client in the best way possible everytime and be competitive on the radio nowadays.

I don't think it's crazy. But a more accurate way of saying it might be Melodyne and Auto-tune CAN do more harm than good. It's easy to misuse them. I use Melodyne all the time, cause I record a lot of really awful singers. But when I get someone who can sing, it's hard to resist the temptation to just fix every single note, and that can take a lot of the life out of a really good performance.

Dude, did you even read the sentences preceding where he said that? Cuz his reasons (namely that there's the temptation to "fix" things because they look off in grid view even if they sound good to begin with) make a whole lotta sense

Just some thoughts.

I agree completely... many a time I've found myself snapping parts to grid that were never bad in the first place, and really it made the whole correction process a lot harder... Fixing problem notes only usually sounds smoother, more real, and certainly keeps a better feel to a performance IMO
:rolleyes:

Yeah my bad, I was just under the impression that everyone here actually LISTENED to the music more than looking at a fucking grid. Seriously, I'm not trying to offend anyone but come on...

Small update on this project..yes there is loads of bleed on it. Which eventually makes it go funky.
In the end I don't know what to do. Since the performance might be a tidy bit to weak. She stronger in other songs tho, which is good. But this song particular she does stuff right and the next time the same part she makes a mistake. Might because of breathing, if you listen at the end of the song you hear she's struggling. I'd say she's a real promising singer with serious talent, might be good if she would take some singing lessons to straighten things out. The average age of this band is around 19-20.

For some guys..warning christian content :)

Anyway here's a link with vocals UN-edited!
http://www.docileband.com/240208/Hosanna.mp3