who can help me here with tips on vocal correction?

aviel

Aug 2, 2011
Hey,
can anyone share his workflow for heavy correction of vocal parts? i reocord many school children for prom stuf and they usually dont really know, i find myself sitting lor of time with their producer while i am trying to fix the vocs.

my problems:
My hearing- i can hear that its wrong, i can hear that it should hve gone higer or lower, but thats it.

i use waves tune over protool and its extremly uncomfortablle for me, because i can hear so good the notes, and i sometimes dont even know what note i am looking for i can spend hours on it.

why waves tune aint good for me:
i am apllying it in pro tools via pprocess, not online plugin. there is some latency between the time code marker in tune, and between what you really hear, so no way to know where to cut, pitch or stuff.
2. they keyboard on the side work only when preivewing, i have to actually guess the notes, i wish it could have been like midi, that i can click on the note even without playing and it would play just the note.

3. i suck at it.

i really need your help!

1) Know the key of the song. This will make your life easier.
2) You said: "i can hear that it should hve gone higer or lower, but thats it". That's it. Unless you are ultra familiar with listening to notes and saying what they are.
3) Its PITA work.

Good luck.

Yeah^^. It's PITA work. Are you using audiosuite and trying to tune each note? I don't know how waves tune works at all, but that's not at all how most pros do it. I use Autotune in graphic mode. Find key of song, and drag the notes where you want them after you load the vocals in. Not really that difficult but it can be tedious and time consuming. I'd look for a few tutorial vids on using autotune/ melodyne and look at grabbing either of those softwares...

Yeah^^. It's PITA work. Are you using audiosuite and trying to tune each note? I don't know how waves tune works at all, but that's not at all how most pros do it. I use Autotune in graphic mode. Find key of song, and drag the notes where you want them after you load the vocals in. Not really that difficult but it can be tedious and time consuming. I'd look for a few tutorial vids on using autotune/ melodyne and look at grabbing either of those softwares...

arent you using them in plugin mode? i mean, on track insert this thing wont work good, because i have to scan the whole track before, and since i hve like 10 vocs tracks its annoying.

Yeah I am. But you don't have to scan the ENTIRE track in AT, just the part you want to tune. So I throw it on the track, scan in the part I want, tune it, bounce it down to another track, and throw the bounced region back up in another playlist. I never let autotune run when I'm doing a mixdown, and little noises always seem to pop up. Printing the tracks is better. I've never even attempted using it as an audiosuite, just seems like too big of a pain.

If you're using cubase 5, you can edit the pitch of the waveform for each word if you double click it, one of the best vocal corrections, so easy to use and sounds really good.
אתה ישראלי?

well i am also not sure whythe problems pops up..
but the latency is not the only issues, it also creates pops and cracks sometimes unless i change the "Whole file" paramater at the bottom to 0, then its better, but not 100 smooth..
but again i used it as an audiosuite effect..

@HaydenLM1: yes, you too? where from?

well i am also not sure whythe problems pops up..
but the latency is not the only issues, it also creates pops and cracks sometimes unless i change the "Whole file" paramater at the bottom to 0, then its better, but not 100 smooth..
but again i used it as an audiosuite effect..

@HaydenLM1: yes, you too? where from?

כן אחי! אני הייתי גר באילת ועכשיו אני גר באנגליה :)