TUTORIAL: POOR MANS DIGITAL ROOM CORRECTION

Thank you so much for sharing. I'm still waiting for my Opal studio package thing. I called Rode last night and they are going to get on top of it now.

Did you use the Opal eq first and then do this method after in your daw?

hey joshua! yeah, i used the studio eq thing first. after that this method here.

im rather dissapointed that the studio eq it only gets up to 500 hz, and you know there always more problems than you could ever cure with just 1 band...
i mean, i have a boost at 170 hz here, and my opal eq works on that,
still have a few db extra there. also have a dip at 60 hz.
so yeah, i use both!

my 170 hz boost comes from the opals being heavy as fuck and rest on my desk, i think this lets the whole desk resonate at about that frequency.
gonna get some nice stands in a few weeks, that should help.

im mixing with this method at the moment, and im really liking what it does to my mixes! :Spam: do it you guys! :wave:

AND: i love sharing information here, so its important for me that we discuss this. i plan on sharing more like this.
its really worth buying these microphones btw. i plan on using this method at my clients stereo systems.
this way i can at least setup there built in equalizers as good as possible.

NOTE : yes, this is not the best way to go,
correcting your room with an eq is not in any way as good as doing it
with traps, absorption and diffusion, because you are only correcting
the problems in one space (where you are sitting as an engineer)
and second your not sovling anything timebased, means:

This is exactly the problem with this work-around and correctional room-EQ'ing in general. If you fix the frequency response at the spot where the measurement mic is, you're creating even more problems in other spots, and it might take only a few inches of natural head movement to hit a spot where the "correction" actually becomes a troublemaker. Have you tried measuring the frequency response in a couple of different spots near the sweet spot? You might find some pretty surprising stuff.

While it's an interesting concept, I'd still whole-heartedly recommend using software like RoomEQWizard to get a better image of the problems in your room. It really is easy as heck to set up, and the results are way more accurate.

I realize this might sound overly harsh, but that really isn't my intention. I just want to point out the obvious flaws in methods like this one :)

Instead of using songs and curve EQ and all that, Why not just pull up an analyzer like SPAN or something, run some white noise and a sine sweep, and just look at what your room is doing? Even if you do, you need to take things like this with a grain of salt, and trust your ears more. Learn your room, your equipment, and your ears. That is more important than what any analysis shows You could have great equipment in a great room, but if you don't know what it is supposed to sound like in the first place, then it's all pointless.

Tried it and it kind of opened up my eyes (or ears). I had no idea how bad my room really is, especially from 200Hz downwards.
Danke Danny!

Tried it and it kind of opened up my eyes (or ears). I had no idea how bad my room really is, especially from 200Hz downwards.
Danke Danny!

:wave: thanks! finally someone tried it out ! ;-)
im glad it helped you somehow! my next tests will involve
mixing with and without curve eq on master and see
what it will do to my mixes, too.

Cant wait to try this Danny! Thanks for this it makes enough sense to try. I did try the room eq wizard and there were so many peaks I didnt know what to make of it. This seems a little more my speed.