Avenged Sevenfold – Nightmare

maidenbyname

New Metal Member
Sep 9, 2010
A friend of mine wrote this for my site: http://www.misformusic.com/2010/08/avenged-sevenfold-nightmare/

The last few months can’t have been easy for Avenged Sevenfold, after losing their drummer, Jimmy “The Rev” Sullivan at the end of last year; the four remaining members had to decide whether or not to continue on as a band.

They managed to pull through and produce another album with Mike Portnoy (Dream Theatre) replacing Jimmy “The Rev” Sullivan. Now not being a fan of this band I have had to put my dislike for them to one side and give a fair review. So here goes nothing.

Past albums from this band have always lacked something (and in my biased opinion it’s a decent non nasally singer) and one of these shortcomings is the ability to successfully deliver emotion through their music. Avenged Sevenfold have nearly always failed at this, however omething just clicks with this album and various emotions seep throughout most songs, whether it’s anger and angst, melancholy, or reflection. Sadness or revelations.

On the other hand, the overall song writing has matured greatly on “Nightmare” since the underwhelming self-titled album. Not every song has a generic verse-chorus structure, and while choruses are present, the songs do not always follow the standard song structure. The lyrics are far superior to their previous effort, as they tend to focus on the loss of band-mate The Rev. As a result, the lyrics are very inspired and sound genuine.

My overall feeling about this album is if you like this band you will love it… If you’re not then you may not want to bother picking up a copy.

1. “Nightmare”
2. “Welcome To The Family”
3. “Danger Line”
4. “Buried Alive”
5. “Natural Born Killer”
6. “So Far Away”
7. “God Hates Us”
8. “Victim”
9. “Tonight The World Dies”
10. “Fiction”
11. “Save Me”

3/5