Avenged Sevenfold - Carry On - WHAT THE ????

Didn't seem asshole-ish to me...he just seemed exasperated by the silliness of some of the posters.

^^ This

And Glenn... I'm sorry man, I really am...Especially considering I'm sober now, I really crossed the line there. But I'd rather apologize here than just go and erase it :)

That being said, I'm glad you agree with my view... It really isn't that hard to see.

:lol: Good luck with that.

I gotta meet you someday.
I owe you a beer or 20.
You are always great at taking criticism as nothing more than just one person's point of view, and also for taking the time for trying to see the point of view even if it conflicts with your own.

tumblr_lzcso4jM4u1r10ir1o1_500.jpg

I gotta meet you someday.
I owe you a beer or 20.
You are always great at taking criticism as nothing more than just one person's point of view, and also for taking the time for trying to see the point of view even if it conflicts with your own.

tumblr_lzcso4jM4u1r10ir1o1_500.jpg

:lol: I admit I lol'd at that Care Bear's symbol. :lol:

You know I was right though. Beating you in an online argument is harder than playing Halo against a 14 year old...

On another note...Bill, did you record with CIIC for the upcoming release?

~Brian~

Yes, I did :) It'll be the best CIIC record to date, believe me. I'm NOT saying this because I played in it...haha. The songs were ready before I re-joined the band.

LOL - Hey, I just dont let go easily.
Its not about winning. Just about making a strong case!

@ Bill - Awesome. Looking forward to new CIIC tunes.
Ghost In The Ruins were supposed to open for CIIC last time they came through but management thought it to be a "conflict of Interest" given the number of Sava tunes they did last tour.

LOL - How about some manscara and guyliner to go along with it?
Well, whatever.
The bottom line is I WAS around when AFI started and saw them back in the day.
To you, they are influenced by the Misfits, because that's the cheapest and easiest comparison musically and imagewise.

Sorry - the difference is I don't need to go to WikiPedia to get information about bands from the 90s.

Go listen to some 7 Seconds or Gorilla Biscuits and you will change your opinion on where AFIs early sound comes from.

For the record, I really liked the singles from their major label debut.
What was it? Girls Gone Grey or something, and Silver and Cold?

Its a shame, as for all the bands that had a drastic image change, they seemed to get lost in the shuffle.
AFI is a FAR more superior band to A7X.

Man, you don't know when to admit defeat, do you?
Well, luckily for you and the three people on this board who enjoy our debates, neither do I.
I know none of this is news to you, since you, Jasonic, were there during the 90's and therefore know every chord strummed and every syllable uttered by every band to ever release music during the decade, so just consider it a friendly memory jogger.

Not entirely sure how "AFI was influenced by Misfits from the start" means "AFI's biggest influence was Misfits", "AFI ripped off Misfits's sound in the beginning", "AFI sounded like the Misfits and nobody else," "AFI did not have influences aside from Misfits", so I don't really have anything to say to that!

Clearly their style changed from record to record -- that's one of the things that makes them truly great. The only albums that sound the same are 1 & 2. Every other one has its own unique identity.

But, getting back to them being influenced by Misfits (and really, what punk band isn't???) -- maybe this will clear things up for you.

"We Bite" cover, 1994

"I listen to the Misfits every single day" -- I Wanna Mohawk (But Mom Won't Let Me Get One), Answer That and Stay Fashionable, 1995, their 1st LP -- live performance on the Eddie Picnic's All Wet live EP, released 1994.

"Last Caress" cover, 1997 -- vinyl edition of Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes

Early enough in their career for you?

Bob, since you know where Jason lives, please send him: some ice for that burn, my condolences, and the eyeliner I'm forfeiting to him, wrapped in a nice, pretty little gift bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
My whole issue with bands like this is it seems like more people spend time defending their look than the music itself.
The only reason anyone would have to defend their look is because people are attacking it. And lets face it, if I insulted power metal bands (or just general metal bands from the 80s), said I couldn't take them seriously or otherwise implied that I had disdain for them because of their look rather than their music, people would be up in arms about how I was being shallow, that's just the style and it's the music that's important not the looks (which can often be ridiculous). Yet fans of older metal do exactly the same thing with lots of metal released in the 2000s onward as well.

Fair enough if you don't like the music. Fair enough if you don't like the image (I'm not a fan of the emo image Avenged Sevenfold had originally, and think it's a big reason for them being regarded in a way that's different to the actual music they play), but it is ridiculous and shallow to not actually give the music a chance because of how a band looks.

Anyway, I love Avenged Sevenfold (although even though I like their vocalist, he ranks last out of the vocalists from most of my favourite bands), City Of Evil is one of my favourite albums. This song is OK. The vocals in it aren't great (in comparison to other Avenged Sevenfold stuff, not just in general). Not sure what the big deal about it is (eiter good or bad). If you don't like Avenged Sevenfold, that they released another song you think sounds crap shouldn't come as too big a surprise. And while it does have more of a power metal feel to it than most of their stuff, it's not like the genre is completely alien to them. I mean, to me, lots of City Of Evil sounds more like a modern continuation from older power metal than the "emo" type music a lot of people seem to assume the band plays.

I mean, to me, lots of City Of Evil sounds more like a modern continuation from older power metal than the "emo" type music a lot of people seem to assume the band plays.

To you and anybody else who isn't angry/frustrated at life :)

Lol.

First of all: I invite ANY OF YOU to learn the vocal melodies for this song and play it on an instrument. It is AT THE SAME RANGE as most power metal. So there goes THAT argument.

Not saying M. Shadows is the same type of singer, he really isn't. But how many Kiske copycats can you guys really stomach anymore?

Second: All the people talking about how they don't like it because of the looks: SHUT THE FUCK UP. Are you kidding me? You guys dwell ALL THE TIME on how the new/modern bands are all about looks and you guys are dissing them for the same reason.

Just because they dont have the "40 year old computer guy during the day/chubby prog musician at night" look, that doesn't make them less metal. In fact, as far as metal is concerned, A7X is pretty much THE ONLY band that sells arenas.

I don't even know why I posted this, but the comments are just BEYOND lame.

"STOP NOT LIKING WHAT I LIKE"

I never really liked Avenged Sevenfold PERSONALLY, and this song does nothing for me either. However, my respect for them is infinite because there are only a handful of heavy music bands that can sell as much plastic as they can.

To you and anybody else who isn't angry/frustrated at life :)

It's not far reaching though. They were originally a hardcore band and all of those guys came from the hardcore scene. They don't sound anything like what they did back then, but it's not like it's impossible not to notice who influenced them either, even in their current music. It's like Suffocation - yeah they are a death metal band, but they all came from the NYHC scene, and you can tell that just form the instrumentation. It's what makes them so unique. Same goes for bands like Shadows Fall, Between The Buried and Me, Killswitch etc. They may sound nothing like Integrity or Terror, but there are subtleties in the music that absolutely translate through in which you can clearly tell where they came from. Those guys are not true metal guys. Same can be said with a band like Trap Them or Nails or Xibalba. That's the opposite. THOSE guys came from metal and are in hardcore bands (well Nails is actually a complicated one so I take that back since their main writer actually was in Terror), but you will never be able to take the "true metal" style out of their writing, etc.

@DCowboys - me let go? When's that gonna happen?
Well. Whenever I think of their first couple, it reminds me of 80s melodic hardcore.
Sure, as you said, most US punk bands have SOME Misfits in them.
To me it didn't seem as obvious until later.
Posting cover songs really doesn't support your case.
Bands cover bands all the time. Even those who didn't directly influence them.

One of the best HC shows in the 90s I went to was Sick Of It All, Snapcase, and AFI.
Davey lost his voice so he only sang about every fifth line of every song and was downing herbal tea like water.

"STOP NOT LIKING WHAT I LIKE"

I never really liked Avenged Sevenfold PERSONALLY, and this song does nothing for me either. However, my respect for them is infinite because there are only a handful of heavy music bands that can sell as much plastic as they can.

Sounds like what you really respect are their marketing efforts.

In comparison to other songs from them I've heard, I have to say I enjoyed this a lot more. I'd like to see what else they can come up with in the same vein, and despite the seemingly blatant rip-off qualities -- if it was intentional at least they picked a damn good model to go by.

Also I'm sure not a single one of the guys in A7X give a damn what any of us say about them....I sure as hell wouldn't if I were in their position.

:fu: