AVENGED SEVENFOLD Releases Video For 'Sad But True'-Inspired Song 'This Means War'

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
AVENGED SEVENFOLD's video for the song "This Means War" can be seen below. The clip was helmed by Andrew Baird (CAGE THE ELEPHANT, CARRIE UNDERWOOD) and was previously described as "a grisly street fight on the dark streets of an urban metropolis. Haunted by dark creatures and lost souls." "This Means War", which, by AVENGED SEVENFOLD singer M. Shadows' own admission, bears a strong resemblance to METALLICA's "Sad But True", is taken from AVENGED's sixth and latest album, "Hail To The King", released last year and the band's second straight CD to debut at No. 1 on the Billboard chart, following 2010's "Nightmare". AVENGED SEVENFOLD guitarist Synyster Gates told Music Radar about the "This Means War" track: "We wanted a really impactful, riff-based intro but one that would also feature our dual-lead-harmony approach. It's pretty cool how it fits into the slow groove of the track and just hammers through. "This song is becoming one of my favorites. I've been really enjoying watching people listen to it because it so fits the vibe of the album. When they hear it, they start moving, and they don't stop. Sometimes, with more progressive songs, you lose that fee somewhere along the line, but 'This Means War' never quits — the energy is always there. "All of my solos were improvised initially — I would go in and get my bearings and see what I came up with. I was hearing something chaotic in the intro, a machine-gun spray that would build into something more melodic." AVENGED SEVENFOLD and KORN will co-headline this year's Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival, which kicks off its annual run on Saturday, July 5 in Devore, California. Other acts on the bill include ASKING ALEXANDRIA, TRIVIUM, BODY COUNT, SUICIDE SILENCE, MISS MAY I, TEXAS HIPPIE COALITION, DARKEST HOUR, UPON A BURNING BODY and many others.

More...