Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Avenie - A Long Winding Road To The Present
By Russell Garwood

Avenie.jpg

"Avenie is a surprisingly old Finnnish metal band; due to drastic line-up changes there are no original members left in the band anymore" begins composer, singer and guitarist Matti Auerkall. "Quite soon after joining the band as a singer, I also started writing music for Avenie and nowadays pretty much all material comes from me. To describe the music, I like to use words such as melodic and atmospheric," he continues, "but there are also some nice shredding solos, growling and mosh-riffs in there. I like the idea of presenting beatiful orchestrations and melodies with heavy 7-string guitars and weighty drumming. My personal influences are too numerous to put down here, but to mention a few that have a relation or influence on the style of Avenie's music, I could say maybe early Nightwish, later Opeth, Soilwork, Metallica, Meshuggah, Tori Amos and possibly Evergrey. There are different key elements of each band or artist that I can sense glowing through Avenie's material.[/B]"

AvenieMatti.jpg

Matti - Guitars, vocals & composition

The band's history is not simple, the axeman relates, having been formed 9 years ago. Following some fairly high-profile warm up shows, the band made some recordings together, prior to Matti's addition to the lineup in 2005. "I stepped in as a singer, soon took over guitar duties as well, we recorded a demo, did some shows, messed around with the line-up some more, and now released the new demo called The Gauntlet" he sums up. "This can be listened to in its entirety at our myspace. You can also contact us by e-mail if you want to be a cool underground music supporter and purchase the CD (more info at our webpage)." The story does not end with the demo, however. "Right after releasing it, we managed to once again survive a drastic line-up change. There are now three of us: me on vocals and guitar, Kalle Marttila on bass and Felipe Muñoz on keyboards. We are not in a hurry to pick up new members now, I'll be handling the drum duties in the studio for the time being and our current live-line-up also includes Hiski Marstio on guitar and Kari Ruissalo (of Pofony) on drums, we are very happy to having them help us out."

AvenieKalle.jpg

Kalle - Bass

The trio is raring to record more, Matti enthuses. "We have talked about recording our first full-length this year. There is just so much material lying around that I don't even care anymore if we have a record deal or not, I just want to record and release it. We will probably start recording it in a few months. We would prefer having our material published through a label, by professionals, even though looking at today's music industry, self-releasing is starting to look like a better idea. But I still have faith in the smaller labels that are run by people who love music and are supported by consumers who actually listen to and respect the artists and albums they buy." As for the name, the frontman remains unsure of its origins. "I have been told, that Avenie is the name of some kind of a goddess, but while desperately trying to seek information about it to properly answer questions like these, I have not been able to find any. I was not around when the name was given and so have only second-hand information about it mostly given to me by drunk people. At least it looks good and is easy pronounce for a simple Finn." As for the future, Matti concludes: "For some time now, I have seen Avenie's potential as a big touring and recording band and I would really love to play Avenie's music for screaming crowds on huge festivals and gig-per-day type of tours. I hope we will be able to capture the spirit and concepts behind our music and lyrics even better on our future recordings and be able to deliver that on our live shows as well."

Avenie1.jpg

You can catch the band live 06/05/09 at Yo-talo, Tampere, and 13/05/09 at Dante's Highlight, Helsinki.

Official Avenie Myspace.
Official Avenie Webpage.

Hey, some news for you guys:

Hi! We have a couple of announcements to make. Firstly, we will begin the recordings of our first full-length album "Sombre Embrace" this month. The guitars will be recorded 21.-22.7. and drums 24.-26.7. As our drummer has recently left the band, I will be handling the drums myself in the studio. We are once again recording with the Deaf Ear Studio mobile gear at various locations.

We will try and keep a camera rolling in the studio as well so you can keep an eye on our doings and also try to keep a diary of some sort for the most eager ones too.

Ten songs have been set for this album, here is the full track-list (not in order):

Sombre Embrace
Funeral For A Dream
Gone
Not A Second Of Rest
The Gauntlet
Let Me Sleep
Phantom Pain
Concealed
Bliss Of Misery
Concealed II

Secondly, we are sad to announce that the band has lost yet another member. Kalle, our bassist of many years has decided to step down from the band as well due to personal reasons. Myself and Felipe shall remain good friends with Kalle and we better because I still share a business with him... =) Kalle has also offered to play with us on our future gigs until we find a replacement for him.

Thirdly, we have a couple live dates booked for the coming winter:
07.11.2009 Pub Katse, Jyväskylä
17.12.2009 Klubi, Tampere w/Soulfallen & Vanguard

Hopefully we will be able to publish more dates later! Thank you!!!

-Matti/Avenie

Hello there!

We have had a little break from recording due to the lack of free time that people who play in multiple bands tend to have among other things like being sick and trying to have a life.
But today we have picked up where we left off: vocals.

Now, I have something quite interesting to tell you about the vocal work of this album. As it happens, my vocals chords have suffered some sort of trauma during the spring of this year and for the last five months I have not been able to sing like I used to. I can still sing and growl, but I can't sing like I think the singer of Avenie should, so from now on I will be only the guitarist of Avenie. However, I will still sing some backing vocals live and in studio.

But the other side of the matter is, that I now have the great pleasure of introducing the new lead singer of Avenie, a very talented musician and one of my dearest friends, Marko Eskola. Some of you may know him as a member of Farmakon, Älymystö or Spitleak/DogEyeGod. When we were making the last demo, Marko was producing/coaching me through the vocal recordings. As a vocalist, he is a much better singer and growler than I ever was and if you don't believe me, just have a listen to the title track of the album "Sombre Embrace" on Avenie's myspace.

See you people live in november and december!

Download the new song "Sombre Embrace" here!

www.avenie.net
www.myspace.com/avenie

-Matti / Avenie