Aw shit, muhfuckin remix an shit (Cynic)

Lodge

Jun 10, 2008
So this looks interesting, Cynic is releasing an EP of remixes/re-imaginings of a few tunes from their last album, along with 1 new track. Best part? NO VOCODER!!111! :loco:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQcq_ttM34E&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Definitely getting this! I'm still drooling every time when I look at the überawesome limited box set they released for "TIA".

not digging this for some reason, but ill probably pick it up
however, i did just get my copy of traced in air on vinyl today! and its FUCKING GORGEOUS!!!!!
the cd just looks so underwhelming in comparison when you have the artwork that fucking big, nice 180g clear vinyl too.

TIA was a totally different album, you cant compare the vocal sounds, there's no point.

Why do people think it's a vocoder? It sounds nothing like a vocoder! It's hard-auto tuned, doubled an octave below and an octave above. That's it. Robotic, yes, but far from vocoder.

And yeah, it's a totally different album, and IMO is way better, as heretic as that is to say. I was 4 when the other one came out... suck it. :lol:

Why do people think it's a vocoder? It sounds nothing like a vocoder! It's hard-auto tuned, doubled an octave below and an octave above. That's it. Robotic, yes, but far from vocoder.

And yeah, it's a totally different album, and IMO is way better, as heretic as that is to say. I was 4 when the other one came out... suck it. :lol:

OK, agree tha they're totally different.

And it's just easier to say vocoder, as opposed to saying "hard-auto tuned, doubled an octave below and an octave above robotic effect". :lol:

Dude you were 4 - wow, I feel old :(

why does one have to be better?
theyre both beautiful, pure works of art that were made at totally different times of a bunch of people's lives, they're uncomparable. D:<

Tru dat, I have never listened to Focus, TIA was like "hooooo fuck" when I first heard it. That drum sound is incredible and super natural goodness.

As far as saying "vocoder" goes, I was just quoting Masvidal's own words... you know, their vocalist:

"Re-traced is an experiment for us - an opportunity to turn four songs from Traced in Air inside out and to share something new", comments frontman Paul Masvidal. "In our exploration, we've created music that is part 'sci-fi prog folk', part psychedelic rock, part minimalist restraint. These interpretations feel channeled from another galaxy. For the most part the tunes reference some of our favourite musical forms and in our own curious way (electronic/ambient, jazz/fusion, drum n' bass, experimental, shoegaze). There is no vocoder, no traditionally busy Cynic riffs that are some of our most signatures sounds, but the music retains its song structure, integral melodic sense, harmony and lyrical inspiration."

Focus was a vocoder, and TIA i belive was a harmony effects box with an octave and 5th setting with 100% wet, well at least for live use. As the main point was that he wanted to sing the pitches, but still have that cool vocoder effect. IDK about the studio album though, he may have been extremely autotuned. and finally going from focus to TIA is a huge change. After listening to focus for close to a year, TIA sounded almost like a pop album in comparison, but it grows on you. You can tell they are both made by the same band, but it jsut seems as if they are paying tribute to different inspirations.

P.S.
Im not even sure if I was alive when focus came out i have to check............ it was released a few months before I was born!!!!