Awful review

Allan

New Metal Member
Jun 22, 2003
Copenhagen
Visit site
I found this awful review, it's in Danish and I was about halfway done translating when my computer crashed, I might translate it tomorrow. Appauling stuff. Here are some highlights: It had to happen: The gothic version of Garbage, slick and radio friendly, stuck between goth aspirations and chart striving, "Flowers" and “Over Your Shoulder (Acoustic Version)” are radio-indie (!?!?!) of a decent standard.

Here's the link, not sure if it'll work.

http://www.geiger.dk/anmeldelser/anmeldelse.php?id=503

Hes absolutely right, when Dunc wrote flowers, he had lots of radio-plays in mind, especially the radio-friendly evil-orchestral minimal bit at the end - its just like boyzone!!! There were no doubts in his mind that this song would get on the radio.

Hes absolutely right too about being stuck in between wanting to be a goth and wanting to get on the radio - i often try to wear black clothes and face- makeup as much as i can in the daytime and i pretend to be really sad, but when im at home i dance around in front of the mirror miming to robbie williams because i secretly want to get on the radio.

weve been found out. what a bummer

It's actually kind of weird, 'cause he gives this air of knowing nothing of the background of the band, but then his review sounds as if he knew Duncan's background in Anathema and yours in writing chart friendly music, at first I had my conspiracy theories. But then when he gets to his examples it doesn't add up that way as you see. I'll get arround to translating it, I think the whole thing will give you a laugh.

Its amazing, this guys doing a website about music and he doesnt even know what hes talking about.

Im not just being defensive either, if someone says they dont like our stuff then thats fine. If someone says they dont like our stuff and then constructively explains why, then thats even better.

But if some nerd publishes a review thats so fucking west its becoming east again when its obvioous he doesnt have a clue what hes talking about, then that gets right on my tits.

I hope his dog gets cancer.

Mick Moss said:
Hes absolutely right too about being stuck in between wanting to be a goth and wanting to get on the radio - i often try to wear black clothes and face- makeup as much as i can in the daytime and i pretend to be really sad, but when im at home i dance around in front of the mirror miming to robbie williams because i secretly want to get on the radio.

http://www.humorweb.no/filmer/black_metal.mpeg

Here's the whole thing translated by yours truly:

A few seconds in the first nervous thoughts appear. It had to happen you think, the gothic version of Garbage. Luckily not everything on the record is as slick and radio friendly as the introductory title track., even though Antimatter clearly is a band in the midst of deep artistic crisis. One part of the band have clear goth aspirations, the artwork as well as the lyrics and the often lurking athmospheric arrangements don’t leave you doubting. While the other as clearly strives for the charts. This confusion obviously results in an uneven record, where the 2 fractions only meet under constructive circumstances in ”Going Nowhere” and ”God is coming”. The first calmly ticks itself towards the end in a beautiful combination of airy guitars and suggestive synths and a mesmerizing chanting ground riff, while the latter in cinematic fashion throws a bit of trip hop rhythm into the equation. Here the members of Antimatter really gets something out of eachother.

”Savior” is at its worst in for example ”Holocaust”, which would like to be a dark inciting song, but ends up sounding like, as said, Garbage, in both meanings. Songs like this, and sadly there’s more of them on the record, are neither nor, and you can’t do a whole lot with that. Besides that the album is actually at its best when it’s the most poppy, as in ”Flowers” and ”Over Your Shoulder (Acoustic Version)”, which is radio-indie of a decent standard. Thus the biggest problem with ”Savior” is that the band itself, and its position in the musical landscape, is a misunderstanding. There are 2 bands here: One (perhaps the best) belongs on a big multinational label, while the other should stay underground and add a bit of weight and depth to its admonitory athmosphere. As Antimatter is now, the group is too poppy to bear the goth clothing it tries to put on with dignity. On the other hand it’s simply too strange to conquer the mainstream.

Dhatura said:
It seems they took the dark-goth underground route :D

I don't know, I'm still quite shocked at finding "Lights out" in Fona (mainstream music store). And I was there last week and saw there were none left, so I guess they've sold out as well.

toolsofthetrade said:
they obviously havent checked the band's background.

Actually that was the only thing in the review that made me think. Isn't that what Mick and Dunc would like, to get away from that Anathema tag and be judged solely on the music they're making right now.

Allan said:
Actually that was the only thing in the review that made me think. Isn't that what Mick and Dunc would like, to get away from that Anathema tag and be judged solely on the music they're making right now.
sure, i'd be happy w/ that as well, but you know, everyone comes from somewhere, u cant deny it, or see it seperately. tho the music has to be judged individually. and what thell; if you make music many ppl like, that great. if they dont like it, stuff em. u do it for yerself eventually. and who can be the biggest critic?