Axe-Fx II Firmware 13 feat HI/ULTRARES IR's

FIXXXER

¯\(°_o)/¯
Feb 18, 2008
Germany
what do you axe owners think?
IMHO the difference is clearly audible,
that typical "2D" sound of IR's has finally become "3D" :headbang:

Definitely feeling improved ... Closed my eyes ... Earring a real combo in my home-studio

This is all going to come down to the quality of the original impulse. Old impulses that aren't long enough, being converted to Ultra res will have no benefit.

All in all... IMHO from using the ultrares cabs so far (I purchased the Ownhammer Ultrares pack Fractal just released) I feel the tone isn't as flubby in general. There's a cleaner low end and better string separation, but it isn't a huge drastic difference.

I feel we are getting to the point of diminishing returns with the Axe. When it comes to the amp modeling and speaker simulation, how much better can it really get?

I became really happy with my Axe around Firmware 10, so everything past that point has just been icing on the cake. FW 13 sounds fantastic as have the previous 3 firmware releases.

As for the 3D thing, I did feel something I hadn't before, but according to Cliff, this wasn't due to the Ultrares cabs but improvements he has made to the power amp modeling. While trying out 13 the first night, I could hear the high frequency attack of the string separating from more of the meat of the distortion which felt or sounded more panned around the higher frequencies. This was something I had never heard or experienced before. It sounded as if I had more dynamic control over the attack of the string.

This aspect was more interesting to me when auditioning 13 than the Ultra res cab tech was.

@Noriuky73
yeah, also to make it sound even better i like to turn up the room parameter in the cab block. i have started with 24% but now i am at almost 50% and it sounds really nice!

@Matt-Steele
yeah i am realy looking forward to some new releases with IR's specially made for ULTRARES, however the FAS/OH pack seems nice but 99,95$ is a bit pricey.
to me it was FW 10 also that made the amps sound as i wanted them to sound, the IR section however really needed that development.
i hope there will be somethig completely new coming soon. cliff mentioned something very interesting a while ago, he was looking for a robotic mic stand that allows ultra precise adjustment.
maybe he is working on an interactive CAB BLOCK that allows real time mic placement....we'll see :D

yeah, i have also discovered that FW 13 has this certain 3D dynamic sound i missed before,
i also had similar results with earlier FW versions by tunring up the room parameter in the cab block, but in 13 it's defintively a BIG improvement!

please share any ultra res impulses here! After hearing the stock set, definitely need some more.

Same feelings as most others that since firmware 10 things have been really good. I won't be buying the $99 own hammer release either, prob best to wait a while and see how things develop. I am not a huge fan of massive ir packs, they do my head in to be honest, just give me 10-15 killer ones covering clean through heavy and I would be very happy. Hopefully fractal will do a good job with their own packs. All things considered I am a happy camper with the axe as it does amaze me daily.

please share any ultra res impulses here! After hearing the stock set, definitely need some more.

some bass cab madness (if you haven't already discover these)

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-user-cabs-irs/81453-mesa-boogie-ebs-bass-cabs-ultrares.html

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-user-cabs-irs/81691-gallian-kruger-amp-ultrares-bass-cabs-tm-darkglass-bk7-tm.html

Same feelings as most others that since firmware 10 things have been really good. I won't be buying the $99 own hammer release either, prob best to wait a while and see how things develop. I am not a huge fan of massive ir packs, they do my head in to be honest, just give me 10-15 killer ones covering clean through heavy and I would be very happy. Hopefully fractal will do a good job with their own packs. All things considered I am a happy camper with the axe as it does amaze me daily.

same here, i am really owerwhelmed by all these IR Packs, hoewver i end up buying all of them. really looking into future releases, i have also thinking to make my own impulses but this needs a lot of knowledge and time, which i both do not have :lol:

He said he never saved a long version ;(

damn :cry:

Definitely a huge improvement, as expected since I truly think the cab is the most important piece in the chain. It sounds surrounding for sure

yeah, especially in combination with the room paramete rin the cab block, this really brings it CLOSE to a micd setup but offers tons of variations and is not jsut a screenshot/preset like the kemper ;)

This is a HUGE improvement. Shows me that room reflections are a bigger part in close mic'd cabs than I might have imagined.

yeah, i tried to deny that for a long time but now i have to accept it :D

Thanks for the links to the Bass stuff. I hadn't seen that on the Fractal site yet. VERY COOL!

As for impulses in the new Ownhammer Ultrares pack, I am currently only using 4 of them. They are the Marshall cab V30 Chinese mix ready IRs.

Since I bought the pack, I've been going through tons of IR's comparing everything to these 4 and everything comes up short. They simply nail the sound I'm going for with slight variations in tone from modern/vintage and median. The median impulse is my go to and I lean towards the modern if I want a slightly more aggressive rhythm tone.

I was really happy with the impulses before the Ultrares tech came out, and I didn't hear a drastic difference since I already owned all of the impulses that were put out with the firmware, just not the ultra res versions. So that's why I guess I really don't see the ultra res as a game changer. The latest Ownhammer IRs were really, really good to begin with.

This is a HUGE improvement. Shows me that room reflections are a bigger part in close mic'd cabs than I might have imagined.

Sacha, after this update, do you think we'll see less dust on your Axe FX II? And more dust collecting on your Kemper?

i guess when you are already uset to the OH IR's the difference is not that audible.
i hope kevin will release a HI/ULTRARES version of the 4x12 mesa cab, really looking to upgrade these but i do not want to buy the whole pack.

the cool thing is, i managed to pick the right one in three blind tests posted on the FAS forum and i usually NEVER hear the difference in these kind
of comparisons :D

Thanks for the links to the Bass stuff. I hadn't seen that on the Fractal site yet. VERY COOL!

As for impulses in the new Ownhammer Ultrares pack, I am currently only using 4 of them. They are the Marshall cab V30 Chinese mix ready IRs.

Since I bought the pack, I've been going through tons of IR's comparing everything to these 4 and everything comes up short. They simply nail the sound I'm going for with slight variations in tone from modern/vintage and median. The median impulse is my go to and I lean towards the modern if I want a slightly more aggressive rhythm tone.

I was really happy with the impulses before the Ultrares tech came out, and I didn't hear a drastic difference since I already owned all of the impulses that were put out with the firmware, just not the ultra res versions. So that's why I guess I really don't see the ultra res as a game changer. The latest Ownhammer IRs were really, really good to begin with.

Sacha, after this update, do you think we'll see less dust on your Axe FX II? And more dust collecting on your Kemper?

Haha I sold my Kemper a while back; the Axe made more sense to me in a live setting for my rig. I've said it in other threads, they are both awesome tools and I can get my tones with either.